Licensed Practical Nurse (FT temp)
Nanaimo Seniors Village (NSV)
Clinical Support [Registered Nurses][Licensed Practical Nurses][Registered Care Aides][Recreational Therapists]
Full Time Temporary
Reporting to the Director of Care and/or Resident Care Coordinator, the Licensed Practical Nurse is the role model and team leader who coordinates the activities and duties of those who deliver direct resident care. The Licensed Practical Nurse performs duties and monitors departmental activities in accordance with their scope of practice, established standards, regulations, policies and procedures to maximize resident focused care.
Include but not limited to;
1. Assess residents’ needs; plans, implements and evaluates resident care.
2. Ensures focused resident care is provided and resident rights are observed.
3. Liaises with physicians, community agency representatives, families, visitors and volunteers.
4. Administers prescribed medications and treatments within the limitations of the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of BC. (CLPNBC)
5. Monitors and reports changes in physical and psychological conditions of residents and documents changes in the resident health record. Notifies family and physician of changes in condition.
6. Active participant in Interdisciplinary Care Conferences. Responsible for development of initial care plan and revisions as necessary. Implements and evaluates the effectiveness of plan of care.
7. Maintains all documents according to established standards, regulations, policies and procedures, ensuring confidentiality is maintained according to Facility policy.
8. Liaises with other disciplines and departments to ensure quality focused resident care.
9. Supervises and assists other care staff. Participates in orientation and ongoing education as required.
10. Assists residents with care, which includes activities of daily living, including bathing, dressing, feeding, elimination, hair and oral care.
11. Actively participates in facility programs, meetings, committees and educational in-services.
12. Ensures equipment and supplies are stored and maintained according to policy and procedure and reports unsafe or faulty equipment to appropriate manager.
13. Maintains an up to date knowledge of facility policies and procedures, particularly those concerning the administration and recording of medications, safety and emergency procedures.
14. Encourages and adheres to a holistic philosophy of wellness, recognizing that each individual is capable of, to varying degrees, making decisions about his/her life and is a partner in the decision-making process.
15. Utilizes the Registered Nurse as a resource for complex situations as per the policy of the Facility.
16. Performs other related duties as required.
1. Graduate of an approved program for Practical Nurses and holds a current License with the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of BC.
2. Valid First Aid Certificate.
3. Food Safe Level 1 certificate.
4. Recent experience as a practicing LPN, in a long – term care setting that included the distribution of medications; 2 years’ experience preferred
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. Ability to read, write, and speak English proficiently and understand verbal and written instructions.
2. Good interpersonal skills and ability to effectively interact with the various individuals involved in providing holistic care in a flexible resident focused environment.
3. Ability to operate related equipment.
4. Must be in good health, physically able to perform repetitive tasks, lift, squat, bend, stand and walk as required to perform the duties of the position.