**Worker Sub-Type:** Regular
****** Job Description: ******
We are **BlackBerry**, a global mobile communications leader who revolutionized the industry with its introduction in 1999. Today, BlackBerry’s products and services, from messaging to enterprise mobility, are relied upon by millions of individuals every day to securely and efficiently connect them to the content and people that matter most. At BlackBerry, our instinct for innovation is relentless, so as we continue to push the boundaries of mobile experiences, we continue to drive the talent, passion and creativity of our employees. If you want to do challenging work that matters, be free to express your ideas and learn new things, then we want you to be a part of the BlackBerry team.
As the successful candidate you will join a team of professional service engineers responsible for engineering, deploying, maintaining and supporting the BlackBerry production environment. You will manage multiple cloud and regional, heterogeneous environments around the globe, comprised of thousands of systems running predominantly Linux and some Windows operating systems.
* Engineer BlackBerry services to work in a highly available and disaster-resilient global fashion.
* Collaborate with product and development teams, to evolve and improve software and services.
* Use outside-of-the-box thinking to generate creative solutions to problems.
* Analyze multiple solutions and select the best one for recommendation.
* Troubleshoot and identify bugs in partnership with development and testing teams.
* Automate recurring work such as deployments, upgrades, management and monitoring functions.
* Develop tools and engineering 3rd party software to support the BlackBerry services.
* System performance management and tuning.
* Validate that production behavior and performance aligns with test results.
* Deployment and upgrades of BlackBerry services; coordinating the arrangements for the supporting platform and infrastructure; configuration of the services.
* Create and review methods of procedure (MOPs) that specify the steps and commands to run; create implementation plans that organize the work.
* Standardize production and lab systems to make deployments and troubleshooting easier.
* Communicate status and results to key internal stakeholders.
* Advise on capacity planning and management.
* Build and deploy brand new services; migrating services between sites.
* Work with security teams to improve security and patch identified security vulnerabilities.
* Assess service quality and identify opportunities for improvement.
* Troubleshoot and resolve incidents; prevent incidents from recurring through knowledge sharing, documentation, and improvements. Contribute to root cause analysis.
* React quickly to problems and follow established procedures to implement solutions.
* Create and maintain support information, such as procedure instructions and process updates.
* Share knowledge with other BlackBerry employees, formally and informally.
* Contribute to incident impact calculations to help determine the true impact to customers.
* Work within the defined change management processes to plan and schedule changes.
**SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS**
* Post-secondary education in Computer Science or a related discipline.
* Three to five years of experience in Service Provider, IT Administration, or Network Operations settings.
* Strong Linux/Unix administration and network troubleshooting.
* Experience with Containers, Docker, Jenkins, and CI/CD
* Experience with automation (Terraform, Terragrunt, Ansible, Chef) using version control (eg: Git, SVN)
* Deploying and maintaining standard Internet services (e.g. apache, tomcat, JBoss middleware), DNS services (e.g. bind), and protocols (e.g. HTTP, SSL).
* Scripting and/or programming experience in Python, Ruby, and Bash
* Application network configuration (configuring and troubleshooting routes, VLANs, subnets).
* Participation in an on-call rotation; operate effectively in a global 24×7 environment.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
* High initiative and motivation. Ability to work effectively independently, and to support multiple services as part of a team.
* Knowledge sharing.
* Sharp in support and troubleshooting of applications and services, including log analysis.
* Ability to learn new technologies quickly with some support and guidance.
* Strong individual time management. Basic project management skills.
* Handling pressure and urgent situations with a level-headed approach and high professionalism.
* Virtualization, Cloud Computing (e.g.VMware, OpenStack, AWS, Azure), PaaS support and configuration.
* Data storage products (e.g. Oracle, PostgreSQL, MySQL, Cassandra). Hadoop.
* Certifications such as LFCS/LFCE from Linux Foundation, LPI, RedHat or SuSE.
* Monitoring tools (Zabbix, Prometheus, Grafana, OpsGenie)
* Application load balancing and dynamic/intelligent DNS.
* Scrum and Kanban methodologies.
**Job Family Group Name:** Information Technology
**Scheduled Weekly Hours:** 40
We are BlackBerry, a global mobile communications leader who revolutionized the industry with its introduction in 1999. Today, BlackBerry’s products and services, from messaging to enterprise mobility, are relied on by millions of individuals every day to securely and efficiently connect them to the content and people that matter most. At BlackBerry our instinct for innovation is relentless, so as we continue to push the boundaries of mobile experiences, we continue to drive the talent, passion and creativity of our employees.
©2016 BlackBerry. All right reserved. BlackBerry® and related trademarks, names, and logos are the property of BlackBerry Limited and are registered and/or used in the U.S. and countries around the world.
It is the policy of BlackBerry to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship, status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law.
EEO Minorities/Females/Protected Veteran/Disabled