Who we are
Staples Canada is the Working and Learning Company. We are dynamic, inspiring partners to our customers and the communities in which we live. At Staples, we inspire people to work smarter, learn more and grow every day. We look for people who are curious, approachable and passionate, and who enjoy finding solutions.
If that’s you, let’s work, learn and grow together.
We are building an inclusive and diverse team
Staples Canada is creating an inclusive and diverse work environment. We welcome, value and thrive on perspectives and contributions from backgrounds that vary by race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, lifestyle, age, educational background, national origin, religion or physical ability. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know
Some of what you will do
Reporting to the General Counsel, as the Senior Legal Counsel, you will support the Staples business by advising and guiding the business on legal and regulatory matters. Each day will be fast paced, challenging, rewarding and meaningful and you will be inspired to bring your best, every day.
Specifically, you will:
• Act as a true business partner in addition to being an excellent lawyer • Proactively identify legal and regulatory risks and work with the business to assess and manage risks • Play a key role as a trusted advisor in partnering on businesses growth strategies • Provide a communication approach that is clear and succinct to capture an audience • Leverage resources effectively and identify optimization opportunities to prioritize budget • Utilize outside counsel and other external resources as appropriate to ensure the Company is represented in a cost efficient and effective manner • Advise on various areas of law including:
• Drafting, reviewing and negotiating agreements including business agreements and leasing agreements • Interpretation of existing agreements and material issues which may arise • Active litigation management • Privacy matters • Responding to regulatory inquiries and investigations • Labour and employment law matters • Corporate law and governance • Assist with mergers and acquisitions
Some of what you need
• LL.B or JD degree • 4-6 years of legal experience • In-house counsel expertise is an asset • French language an asset • Exceptional technical expertise and communication skills • Ability to establish relationships with business colleagues on short/long term tasks, projects and strategies • Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously • Ability to thrive in a dynamic and fast-paced environment
• Experience in the retail sector an asset but not required • Curious • Approachable • Passionate • Solutions Finder
Some of what you will get
• Associate discount • Health and Dental benefits • RRSP/DPSP • Performance bonuses • Learning & Development programs • And more…
• Office environment • The successful candidate can be located in any province in Canada