Job Posting #875982
Research Agreement Specialist
Site: 700 University Avenue/Remote hybrid
Department: Research Grants
Reports to: Manager, Research Grants
Salary range: $70,496 to $88,121 per annum commensurate with experience and consistent with UHN Compensation Policy
Status: Permanent Full-time
University Health Network (UHN) is looking for an experienced professional to fill the key role of
Research Agreement Specialist
Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning.
The University Health Network, where above all else the needs of patients come first, encompasses
Toronto Rehabilitation Institute, Toronto General Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre and the Michener Institute of Education at UHN . The breadth of research, the complexity of the cases treated, and the magnitude of its educational enterprise has made UHN a national and international resource for patient care, research and education. With a long tradition of groundbreaking firsts and a purpose of Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning, the University Health Network (UHN), Canada’s largest research teaching hospital, brings together over 16,000 employees, more than 1,100 investigators, 8,000+ students, and many volunteers. UHN is a caring, creative place where amazing people are amazing the world.
University Health Network (UHN) is a research hospital affiliated with the University of Toronto and a member of the Toronto Academic Health Science Network. The scope of research and complexity of cases at UHN have made it a national and international source for discovery, education and patient care. Research across UHN’s seven research institutes spans the full spectrum of diseases and disciplines, including cancer, cardiovascular sciences, transplantation, neural and sensory sciences, musculoskeletal health, rehabilitation sciences, and community and population health.
Find out about our purpose, values and principles here .
Reporting to the Manager, Research Grants, the Research Agreements Specialist will draft, review and negotiate a high volume of research agreements for UHN research studies including but not limited to funding agreements, sub in/out agreements, inter institutional agreements and collaboration agreements. Such agreements are required to ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations, national and international standards and UHN policies and to mitigate risk to UHN and UHN research participants. The Research Agreements Specialist will also review and assess grant awards to researchers to determine study complexity and requirements, and to develop agreement strategies. The position is also required to liaise with Investigators, UHN’s Research Institutes, Funding Agencies and Foundations, Lead and Collaborating sites, Research Financial Services, Technology & Development & Commercialization and other key internal stakeholders, Senior Management, and Attorneys. Duties may also include the development of SOPs and review tools.
• At minimum, a Master’s degree or paralegal background with related experience or; law degree prefered or a master’s degree in biomedical sciences or recognized equivalent
• At minimum, three (3 ) years practical and related experience with at least 2 years of experience drafting, interpreting and negotiating agreements including grant funding agreements from national and international funders, confidentiality agreements, sub grant and collaboration agreements is preferred
• Ability to manage and prioritize projects simultaneously; to efficiently communicate, write, edit, analyze, negotiate and problem solve
• Familiarity with and/or experience in an academic research environment and in contracts including the requirements of Government sponsors such as Tri Agency and NIH is strongly preferred
• Demonstrated negotiation and facilitation skills
• Experience in a Microsoft Office environment preferred
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills required
• Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills required
• Attention to detail/analytical thinking and excellent organizational abilities required
• Ability to manage personal timelines and priorities with minimal supervision required
If you are interested in making your contribution at UHN, please apply on-line.
You will be asked to copy and paste as well as attach your resume and covering letter. You will also be required to complete some initial screening questions.
Posted Date: April 29, 2021
Closing Date: Until filled
For current UHN employees, only those who have successfully completed their probationary period, have a good employee record along with satisfactory attendance in accordance with UHN’s attendance management program, and possess all the required experience and qualifications should apply.
UHN thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
UHN is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the Bona-fide requirements for the open position. Applicants need to make their requirements known when contacted.