Learn How to Become a Better Person, Volunteer From Home & Help Others!
Why Join Certified Listeners Society?
We are a not-for-profit organization built by a community of people dedicated to providing early-stage emotional support to anyone who needs it 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. We are not a crisis helpline. We believe that by serving the masses to navigate the challenges of our lives, with early-stage and real-time Emotional Support interventions, we can help individuals make better mental health lifestyle choices to live better, happier, healthier lives.
To provide Emotional Support to the masses, whenever they need it, one text message at a time. We do not wait for individuals to call us but rather go out of our way to find people online who need emotional support.
To learn more about us, visit www.certifiedlisteners.org
Reporting to the Certified Listener Program Manager, all volunteers are carefully screened and fully trained prior to taking emotional support chats. Throughout their volunteering experience, volunteers receive ongoing professional support and in-service educational sessions. Experienced volunteers gain many life and communication skills which translate into other aspects of their daily lives, helping them become better self-aware.
What will you do:
You will be an online chat responder providing emotional support on our online chat platform.
· Providing immediate and confidential support (chat, etc.) using agency procedures and policies
· Providing information and referrals when appropriate
· Understanding what to do if you are concerned about a person’s safety
· Work with callers/chatters, volunteers, and staff in a respectful and professional manner
· Letting callers know your listening and someone cares
· Letting the person know there is someone here to provide individual support
What will you NOT be doing:
· Certified Listeners are not therapists or hold themselves out to be
· Telling people what to do or how they should live their lives
· You are not providing crisis intervention
· You are not a providing addiction counselling
To work one 4-hour shift per week for a period of at least one year (or a comparable number of hours) after the successful completion of training.
There is flexibility in scheduling and you will be able to choose weekly shifts that best suite you from six designated times.
What are we looking for?
· Keyboarding skills
· Excellent communication skills
· Ability to build a relationship and convey empathy and emotion through an online platform
· Capacity to remain calm and effective in challenging situations
· Non-judgmental and accepting of diverse values and beliefs
· Reliability and punctuality
· Ability to work independently
· Good self-awareness and common sense
· Emotional resilience, stability, and maturity
· Proficiency in the English language – especially written
· Open to feedback and continuous development
· Access to a computer with reliable internet connectivity
· Access to a private space at home for the duration of your volunteering shift
· Adherence to Certified Listeners Society policies, procedures, and online chat guidelines
· Ability to support Certified Listeners Society philosophy of empowering individuals
What you can expect from us:
We at Certified Listeners Society provide training, protocols, policies and policies, proprietary software, support and supervision to help volunteers fulfill their roles.
What’s in it for you
Helping people in need in your very own community is tremendously rewarding. Online emotional support is a unique opportunity to help others, while also developing and enhancing your own communication skills valuable in everyday personal and professional life.
Other benefits include:
· Make tangible differences in others’ lives and feel connected to the community
· Gain experience and confidence in supporting others
· Develop your communication and social skills and gain perspectives or self-awareness
· Be a part of a supportive team
· Feeling good about yourself
· Training in emotional support
· Enhanced self-growth
· Staying informed on current social issues
· Volunteering experience in an organization where diversity is welcomed and encouraged
· Experience towards a career in social work, psychology, community outreach, etc.
· Certified Listeners Training Certificate upon finishing the e-training course
· Letter of Reference upon fulfillment of a one-year commitment (200 Hours)
As part of our commitment to volunteers, reference letters and confirmations of volunteering experience are provided upon request to individuals who have fulfilled the specified requirements previously stated. Certified Listeners Society is only able to attest to a volunteer’s skills experience and personal qualities. Reference letters and confirmation will state that Certified Listeners Society volunteers are engaged in emotional supportive counselling not any type of psychotherapy during the course of their volunteer work.
How to apply:
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resume and a cover letter, letting us know why you feel that you are a good candidate for this role.
Certified Listeners Society is committed to volunteering equity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates. Certified Listeners Society will make available reasonable accommodations for people with disabilities upon request.