Health Care Aide (PT Perm)
Millrise Seniors Village / Millrise Place (MLSV)
Clinical Support [Registered Nurses][Licensed Practical Nurses][Registered Care Aides][Recreational Therapists]
Part Time Regular
Reporting to the Licensed Practical Nurse, and/or designate, performs routine functions involved in the provision of holistic quality resident care. Duties are performed in accordance with established policies and procedures and in a manner which respects the uniqueness, dignity, worth, need for self-respect and self-determination of the individual, all in ways which promote maximum personal and functional independence.
Include but not limited to;
1. Provides holistic personal care to residents, ensuring that the residents’ activities of daily living needs are met as per policy and procedures and according to the resident’s Activities of Daily Living Plan (ADL) (e.g. personal hygiene, oral care, skin care, toileting, bathing, nail care, dressing and grooming) and written care plan.
2. Observes and reports any changes in resident’s functional and cognitive behaviour to the Nurse.
3. Transfers residents in/out of bed, to/from wheelchair, toilet and chair using assistance or mechanical lifts as per the residents care plan.
4. Assists with the admission, transfer and discharge of residents.
5. Under the direction of the Nurse assists with nursing care such as non-sterile dressings, enemas, suppositories, collection of specimens or skin care treatments.
6. Medication Administration and Medication Assistance may be required under the direction of the Unit Nurse, by those certified Health Care Aides with certification from a recognized Medication Assist or Medication Administration program. Certification of same must be on file, and orientation for medication administration will be signed off by a designated LPN or RN.
7. Ensures residents personal items are marked and handled and stored properly.
Processes soiled personal clothing as per policy, procedures and care plan.
Removes/changes soiled linens.
8. Ensures that resident rights are maintained and respected, which includes confidentiality.
9. Answers call bells promptly and responds appropriately to resident requests.
10. Respects and attends to the emotional, psychosocial, spiritual and cultural beliefs &
practices of the residents; encouraging and assisting residents to participate in social,
physical, spiritual and recreational activities.
11. Encourages and adheres to a holistic philosophy of wellness, recognizing that each
individual is capable of, to varying degrees, making decisions about his/her life and is a
partner in the decision-making.
12. Actively participates in facility programs, meetings, committees and resident care
13. Attends and participates in education programs aimed at increasing personal knowledge
and abilities of the caregiver.
FOOD PREPARATION AND SERVICE:
1. Provides residents with nutritional assistance (e.g. meals, nourishment and tray service,
assists residents to eat as needed). Assists residents to and from dining areas in
accordance with meal service schedules. Reports any appetite/fluid/food intake changes
or concerns immediately to the nurse.
1. Responsible for ordering supplies for Residents’ home environments through established
2. Involves the resident in organizing and maintaining their home environment, ensuring it
is done according to the residents’ wishes and needs.
3. Implements infection control measures and reports any shortages, breakage and
malfunction of equipment.
4. Maintains a clean, safe, homelike environment for residents and staff. Ensures care
equipment and supplies are used and stored in safe and efficient manners.
5. Performs other related duties as required.
2. Encourages resident participation in food service and clean up.
1. Graduate from a recognized Care Aide Program.
2. Previous experience in a long term care facility preferred.
3. Completion of a recognized Medication Administration Certificate from an accredited
4. Food Safe Level 1 Certificate.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. Able to read, write and speak English proficiently and understand verbal and written
2. Good interpersonal skills and ability to effectively interact with the various individuals
involved in providing holistic care in a flexible resident focused environment.
3. Must be in good health, physically able to perform repetitive tasks, lift, squat, bend, stand
and walk as required to perform the duties of the position.