The position of Fitter/Welder includes, but is not limited to production welding of standard and custom product. Responsibilities will include the use of various hand tools, the fabrication of custom parts from supplied drawings, fabrication of parts that meet customer specifications, as well as the fabrication of metal structures using jigs and fixtures in a high paced production environment.
This position will work with Supervisors and Teamleaders to ensure continuous improvements in the work cells hitting daily goals set, welding according to Work Instructions and Work Orders.
1. Maintain open lines of communication with Supervisor, Material Handlers and employees;
2. Inform Supervisor of the daily production status and of problems as they arise (production, quality or otherwise);
3. Record information as required on Work Order and sign off. Keep detailed and accurate reports and documentation per the Quality Management System.
4. Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
1. Read Work Orders as well as Work Instructions (where applicable) and follow steps as required. This includes reading and interpreting blueprint/machine drawings to determine specific welding requirements.
2. Set up and maintain welding equipment, following guidelines provided in user manuals.
3. Select appropriate torch, torch tip, filler rod and wire, according to welding chart specifications.
4. Lay out parts and components, position and secure parts and assemblies according to specifications, using assigned fixtures and appropriate tools – as per Work Order and Work Instructions.
5. Tack-weld or weld components and assemblies, using welding equipment. Ensure accuracy and completion of assigned tasks.
6. Clean parts to the desired quality as described in Work Order, using small handtools as required, e.g. grinder, wire wheel, etc.
7. Performs all necessary maintenance and repairs on all equipment used in welding.
8. Move material and parts as required, applying safe lifting practices and correct use of lifting devices and attachments.
9. Record information as required on Work Order and sign off. Keep detailed and accurate reports and documentation per the Quality Management System.
10. Maintain an organized workspace and good housekeeping – cable management, cleaning at end of shift and put material, fixtures, tools, PPE at designated places.
11. Monitor parts and shop material usage and report on any material issues.
12. Maintain a working knowledge of changes in technology, compliance and techniques.
13. Other assigned work as required.