The Sous Chef is a direct link between the Executive Chef, Sous Chef and his/her assigned production areas and outlets. The Sous Chef’s primary responsibilities are to ensure all communication, standards, policies, and expectations are communicated to his/her team and then executed flawlessly. He/she achieves the objectives through communication, organization, and training. The Sous Chef’s enables his/her team by ensuring equipment and sanitation standards are always met, supplies and inventories are readily available, expectations are communicated, recipes are current, and training is on-going.
• Strictly adheres to all recipes, methods and instructions from supervisor
• Maintains an organized and efficient flow of production, with regards to changes in forecasts and menus
• Recognizes team members for successful achievements and contributions
• Consistently checks temperatures in foods and follows proper procedures in regards to chilling, re-heating, and holding food.
• Maintains USPH/FDA standards
• Communicates and follows-through with appropriate departments to correct sanitation and or equipment issues
• Ensures proper rotation, storage temperatures, and proper storing procedures are observed
• Communicates with provisions to ensure successful coordination of requisitioning, and return to stocks, including variances, spoilage, and excess inventories
• Strives to continuously improve flow of production and all other outputs by submitting ideas in writing to Executive Sous Chef
• Continuously monitors food and labor cost in accordance with CBH
• Delegates workload to subordinates fairly and consistently while continually striving to improve flow of production
• Continually maintains and updates daily and weekly reports in a timely manner
• Performs other related duties as assigned or as directed. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
• Must be familiar with the Safety and Environmental Protection Policy and the SEMS, and carry out the policies and procedures appropriate for his/her position.
QUALIFICATIONS / REQUIREMENTS
• Intermediate to Advanced knowledge of all basic cooking techniques is required.
• Intermediate to Advanced knowledge of Classical European, International, and World Cuisine, including cooking philosophies and principles are required.
• Minimum of one year supervisory experience on a cruise ship or high volume hotel/restaurant is required.
• Minimum of one year experience in a high production volume restaurant/hotel is required.
• Minimum of one year experience in a fine dining or upscale restaurant is required.
• Minimum of three years of general culinary experience is required.
• Intermediate to Advanced level English verbal and writing skills, including the proper use of English grammar is required.
• Intermediate to Advanced skills in typing and computer software skills (Microsoft Word, Excel, Fidelio, AS400, Micros) are required.
• Intermediate to Advanced experience and ability to convert recipes from metric to U.S. units of measurement and vice versa for both volume and weight is required.
• High school diploma or foreign equivalent is required
• Associates degree, Technical degree or foreign equivalent from a Culinary School is preferred.