Are you excited by big data, really big data? Do you want to have a high impact on the security of Payments using the very best of AWS technologies? Are you interested in leading a team building high performance platforms to deal with big data, support security analytics and implement automation to address security threats? Amazon’s Payments Security team is looking for a seasoned Software Development Manager with a strong passion for these topics to join our team.
You will operate at the convergence of the hottest areas in tech: Big Data, Payments, Security, Software Development and AWS Cloud Services. Your team will design an AWS-first cloud service to launch a high-impact, cutting-edge security solutions and distributed, multi-tier services to address complex security problems (from transaction integrity to automation to mitigate security threats) that will drive Amazon-wide impact.
You will be a people leader for a team engineers within the Application Security team to shape the foundation of a new security service. You will be responsible for thinking big, setting goals, direction and priorities, delivering high-quality software, maintaining operational excellence, and leading interactions with customers and partners within the Payments organization and security partner teams. You will play a critical role in our ability to efficiently access security relevant data and build automation at the scale. You should be comfortable with a degree of ambiguity that’s higher than most projects and relish the idea of solving problems that haven’t been solved at scale before. Along the way, we guarantee that you’ll learn a ton, have fun and make a huge impact.
• Be responsible for the overall development life cycle of the solution and manage complex security projects with Amazon-wide impact
• Work with tech leaders and product managers in developing a strategy and road map for systemic security solutions
• Work closely with senior engineers to develop the best technical design and approach for new product development.
• Instill best practices for software development and documentation, assure designs meet requirements, and deliver high-quality work on tight schedules.
• Manage projects / programs working with TPM prioritizing and planning of projects and features, Stakeholder management and tracking of external commitments
• Translate business requirements into technical solutions, recommend alternative technical and business approaches, and lead engineering efforts to meet aggressive timelines with optimal solutions.
• Maintain operational excellence – monitoring & operation of production services
• Lead career management and development of direct reports
Amazon Payments Services build systems that process payments at an unprecedented scale, with accuracy, speed, and mission-critical availability. We process millions of transactions every day worldwide across various payment methods. Over 100 million customers and merchants send hundreds of billions of dollars moving at light-speed through our systems annually. Here in Payments, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
• 7+ years of relevant engineering experience
• 3+ years of people management experience managing engineers
• Experience in partnering with product and program management teams, strong collaborator
• 5+ years of experience working with professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Experience building scalable distributed systems with service oriented architectures
• Proficiency in at least one modern programming language, e.g. Java, C#, or C++
• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field, or an equivalent in relevant work experience
• Exposure to cloud computing (AWS, Azure, etc)
• Solid software development background including design patterns, data structures, test driven development
• Managing a team of 10+ engineers
• Ability to effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions
• Deal well with ambiguous/undefined problems; ability to think abstractly
• Graduate degree a plus
• Strong written/spoken communication skills
• Experience with system architecture/design
• Experience with distributed systems operating in a scalable/high volume environment