Our Site Superintendents play a key role in the managing, and executing of our projects. Representation of New City Contracting is demonstrated through the role of Site Superintendent at each project. We look to our Site Superintendents to adhere to New City Contracting’s standard of customer satisfaction and field performance A Site Superintendent’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Reports To President, Projects
Job Summary The Site Superintendent, under the direction of the President-Production, will primarily be responsible to ensure all persons on the construction site are using the required personal protective equipment properly and at all times. This position will ensure all employees are performing duties in compliance with company policies and standards for cost control, waste reduction, quality, safety, and complete and on-time delivery. This role will also manage job site administration duties, such as reviewing/submitting employee time-sheets, and completing/maintaining daily logs. The Site Superintendent must possess degree or diploma in a related field and position-relevant bonding and certifications.
- Coaching – Engages in regular, structured discussions with employees in order to encourage and improve individual employee performance, and attain organizational objectives.
- Communication – Expresses and transmits information with consistency and clarity.
- Conflict Management – Foresees potential conflict and takes preventative steps. Handles conflict when it arises; assisting with resolution or determining solutions.
- Economical – Ensures work is completed in a way that is conscientious of company resources.
- Health and Safety Leadership – Ensures that employees are following health and safety policies, procedures and regulations. Models appropriate behaviors.
- Judgement – Ability to use sound reasoning when faced with various issues. Has the ability to make quick, effective decisions.
- Managing Performance – Identifies employee's strengths and weaknesses and provides long-term direction and support regarding areas of growth.
- Project Management – Accurately estimates duration and level of difficulty of tasks and projects. Sets out goals, objectives, and work plans to complete tasks and projects. Determine where work needs to be delegated.
- Assist in creating project schedules where required.
- Obtain all health and safety documents.
- Review project documents to gain familiarity prior to project commencement.
- Review details and source possible cost savings.
- Collaborate with Project Coordinator to identify and coordinate items with long lead times.
- Conduct a pre construction survey, noting on record of any existing damage or deficiencies with photos and notes.
- Communicate any existing damage or deficiencies to Project Coordinator.
- Manage and control equipment list. Sign off.
- Install signage on sites. Confirm with Marketing to ensure quantity, quality and positioning with photographs.
- Monitor and control project schedules and budgets.
- Monitor and control project quality.
- Completely understand scope of work, and notify Project Coordinator and Project Manager of any “Extras” or change orders.
- Ensure daily completion of time sheets in HH2 Software.
- Keep daily log of site activities in HH2 software.
- Maintain log of any First Aid situations.
- Coordinate and schedule sub trades and sub contractors.
- Adhere to and accelerate project timelines and materials.
- Manage / set the pace of production to insure timely execution.
- Ensure a clean “Work Safe” work site.
- Conduct safety meetings and maintain safety log.
- Fill out appropriate forms for any Work-Safe related events.
- Ensure all site staff and sub-trades’ conduct and appearance is professional and in accordance with Work Safe BC.
- Ensure that proper tools and machinery are available to complete the project in a safe, timely manner.
- Monitor and address all tenant complaints in a professional manner.
- Maintain a good working relationship with management and tenants.
- Prepare and provide schedule updates to project management team, consultants and clients as required.
- Assist and communicate with HR to make sure all site staff paperwork is processed.
- Conduct site staff evaluations.
- Communicate and/ or escalate all employee matters to HR.
- Anticipate any delays such as weather, labor shortages, and project budget cuts; be prepared to move ahead with a backup plan so not to delay the progress of the project. Communicate to project management team.
- Assist Project Manager with preparation of monthly progress draws and schedule updates.
- Maintain site security, for work areas and residents / occupants.
- Ensure site is protected in the event of expected or unexpected weather conditions.
- Maintain a daily journal of site activities, employee achievements, contribution and/or performance.
- Conduct deficiency walk through with Project Manager and Client.
- Ensure completion of deficiency items and communicate with Project Management team.
- Final site cleanup and demobilization.
- Ensure all equipment is cleaned
- Ensure all equipment is returned and stored away in an organized fashion.
- Sign off on Equipment list with Purchasing Coordinator at time of return.
- Degree or diploma in a related field
- Position-relevent bonding and certifications
- Three years of experience in a management role and five years of experience in a related industry
- A well defined sense of diplomacy, including solid negotiation, conflict resolution, and people management skills
- Ability to manage coordination efforts in construction projects with various parties, such as architects, project engineers, and landscaping installers
- Strong knowledge of health and safety regulations
- Proven experience preparing and conducting post-implementation evaluations
- Ability to create realistic schedules to support the timely completion of construction projects
- Demonstrated ability to exercise necessary cost control measures
- Demonstrated project management skills
- Ability to prioritize and manage conflicting demands
- Ability to delegate, set expectations, and monitor progress of all direct reports
- Exposure to hazards associated with the industry/trade
- Extended periods of standing, and other physically demanding conditions
- Regular exposure to conditions including heat, humidity, and dust
- Use of required personal protective equipment
- Flexible hours, including nights, weekends, and holidays
Acknowledgement And Agreement New City Contracting is an equal opportunity employer and strives to ensure that its hiring process meets the needs of all persons with disabilities. As such, New City Contracting will provide reasonable accommodation for any applicant, as requested during the hiring process.
Over 20 years ago, Edward Buset saw that the Lower Mainland was missing something: a resource for Property Managers, HOA’s, engineers and others involved in the building maintenance business. A resource that could work on new builds or maintain existing buildings, one that could develop cost-effective plans for the maintenance of all types of buildings in our area’s unique climate. From this beginning rose today’s New City Contracting. With over two decades of experience, New City Contracting is staffed with a group of professionals that delivers reliable, cost effective solutions to a wide range of building maintenance challenges on both new builds and maintaining existing buildings. We know what needs to be done, when it needs to be done, and how to get it done in the most beneficial way for your building. Whether its envelope renewal, concrete restoration, painting solutions or many other building envelope management concerns, New City Contracting has the expertise and resources to handle the largest and most complex work smoothly and efficiently.
Our extensive building maintenance services include:
Building Envelope Maintenance Programs
Exterior and Interior Painting
Waterproofing and Building Envelope Renewal
Roof Renewal and Replacement
Exterior and Industrial Cleaning
Rely on New City Contracting to do it right, on time and on budget. Guaranteed.