Akhurst’s Mission, Values, and Behaviours
Akhurst’s Mission is to enhance customer profitability by providing effective machinery solutions and support.
Our core values are family, integrity and teamwork, “F.I.T.”
We reflect our values through our behaviour. Our actions build trust, creating a safe environment for people to show initiative, encouraging communication that is direct, open and respectful. We invite diverse thinking and work collaboratively, recognizing that once decisions are made, they are respected and acted upon.
How this Position Supports Akhurst
As an integral member of the team creating a cost effective, excellent customer experience, the Service Technician is responsible for starting up, training and servicing particular lines of new and used machinery for Akhurst customers located in a designated territory. Akhurst relies on the Service Technician to make good business decisions that reflect an effective use of company resources. In this role, the incumbent will act as an expert of equipment repair, providing day-to-day support and project leadership to ensure our customers’ machinery is functioning optimally. The successful incumbent will be a high energy, self-motivated and outgoing professional with a take-charge attitude and a desire to work in a challenging environment.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Service Coordinator, the duties and responsibilities of the Service Technician include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assemble and install newly acquired equipment at Akhurst or customer site as scheduled;
- Upgrade and repair machinery in an efficient and timely manner to ensure it is functioning optimally;
- Comply with and maintain up to date knowledge of safe work practices, requirements and guidelines;
- Maintain up-to-date technical knowledge in the Company’s line of machinery by attending scheduled training sessions or proactively self-sourcing information, sharing knowledge with the Service Team;
- Order and return parts on a timely basis as necessary, to minimize downtime and redundant inventory;
- Complete work orders and accurate time and expense reports in a timely and efficient manner to facilitate invoicing and service administration; and
- Resolve service issues by liaising with manufacturers as required, escalating unresolved service issues to the Service Coordinator in sufficient detail for timely resolution.
o Machine demonstration,
o Machine start up,
o Customer training including demonstration of machine during start-up,
o Instruction to customers on applications, machine operation, maintenance and safety at customers’ locations;
- Follow up with the customer as necessary to ensure close off of machine issues with satisfactory resolution; and
- Complete customer work order/installation supplementary reports in an accurate and timely manner.
- Minimum three (3) years’ experience as a machine equipment service technician;
- Post-graduate certification from a recognized institution;
- Strong knowledge and experience in machinery electrics, electronics, PLC’s, servo controls and pneumatics;
- Strong mechanical ability;
- CNC controlled machinery experience is an asset;
- Machinist and fabrication skills are an asset;
- Good verbal and written communication skills;
- Good computer skills, including Microsoft Office;
- Customer service oriented;
- Organized, with a high level of proficiency, thoroughness and attention to detail;
- Exceptional problem-solving skills;
- Proven ability to prioritize, multi-task and think ahead to anticipate customer needs;
- Ability to take the initiative and proactive approach, combined with excellent follow-up skills;
- Ability to work well under pressure and to meet deadlines for critical tasks;
- Highly motivated and energetic, with a positive attitude and a pleasant and calm demeanour;
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team; and
- Motivated to learn.
- Out of town travel requirements;
- Work normal business hours and may, from time to time, be required to do some work in the evenings or outside normal working hours;
- Able to work on a machine for long periods of time;
- Able to work on a computer for long periods of time;
- Able to concentrate for extended periods and maintain attention to detail and accuracy;
- Able to stay focused and productive in a busy, open area; and
- Able to manage multiple work orders and deadlines.
Akhurst Machinery Limited is a family-owned business that has been serving the woodworking, machine tool and sawmill industries for eight decades. Akhurst provides its customers with quality products from manufacturers around the world and backs up its products with its highly trained service department. Akhurst is Canada’s largest national distributor of machinery with 5 branches across Canada and a sales office in the US. Our mission is to enhance customer profitability by providing effective machinery solutions and support.
Why you should work for Akhurst:
Our core values are family, integrity and teamwork: FIT. We reflect our values through our daily behaviors. Our actions build trust, creating a safe environment for people to show initiative, encouraging communication that is direct, open and respectful. We invite diverse thinking and work collaboratively, recognizing that once decisions are made, they are respected and acted upon; We offer a pleasant work environment and our employees are highly engaged; We invest in our people by providing the training necessary for employees to successfully perform their responsibilities and develop to meet their career goals; and We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits plan, including RRSP and profit sharing.