Requisition ID: 96726
Join the Global Community of Scotiabankers to help customers become better off.
Please note this is a 12- month maternity contract role.
Leads and oversees the Canadian Banking Compliance Program for Credit Cards and Unsecured Lending Business Lines with Canadian Banking (collectively, “Business Units under responsibility”) ensuring business strategies, plans and initiatives are executed / delivered in compliance with governing regulations, internal policies and procedures.
- Champions a customer focused culture to deepen client relationships and leverage broader Bank relationships, systems and knowledge.
- Oversee and monitor Canadian Banking regulatory compliance program for the Business Units under responsibility to identify areas of regulatory compliance risk.
- Provide support to the Director Compliance, Canadian Banking to monitor Compliance operations for the Business Units under responsibility to ensure that regulatory risks are managed effectively and efficiently and in accordance with the firm’s Risk Appetite.
- Provide advice and counsel to the Business Units under responsibility with respect to regulatory compliance, products, programs, policies and procedures, including implementation of new Financial Consumer Protection Framework.
- Support the identification of trends and/or gaps across Business Units under responsibility and reports findings with recommendations on how to improve the effectiveness of first line controls to the Director and Senior Management.
- Works with the Business Units under responsibility to implement regulatory change, and to enhance controls for existing regulatory requirements.
- Pro-actively identifies potential violations of regulatory requirements, internal policies and procedures, in a timely manner and makes recommendations to mitigate business, compliance and operational risk.
- Works closely with counterparts in Compliance across Global Compliance to share best practices, avoid silos, and ensure consistency and alignment to the Enterprise Compliance Framework.
- Maintains deep knowledge & understanding of industry developments and practices, regulatory requirements and associated changes.
- Supports the development of internal policies aligned with applicable industry regulations and reflective of rule changes from various regulatory bodies.
- Provide training to the Business Units under responsibility on emerging issues, regulatory trends, and industry best practices.
- Actively pursues effective and efficient operations of his/her respective areas in accordance with Scotiabank’s Values, its Code of Conduct and the Global Sales Principles, while ensuring the adequacy, adherence to and effectiveness of day-to-day business controls to meet obligations with respect to compliance and conduct risk.
- Champions a high performance environment and contributes to an inclusive work environment.
- Bachelor’s Degree in commerce, finance, law or related with a minimum of 6-7 years of relevant experience in the financial services industry, preferably within the regulatory compliance, legal or audit functions;
- Strong knowledge of the credit card and lines of credit business, operations and related regulatory requirements and/or environment;
- Strong analytical and communication skills, results orientation and data driven approach in decision making;
- Excellent writing skills and experience drafting correspondence to regulators;
- Experience with providing insights to and interacting with the business;
- Experience using analytics to identify areas of risk and opportunities for improvement;
- Ability to drive success in a high performing, flexible and small team environment
- Ability to work in different projects at the same time under time constraint
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
As Canada’s International Bank, we are a diverse and global team. We speak more than 100 languages with backgrounds from more than 120 countries. Our employees are committed to a superior customer experience and use the Bank’s six guiding sales practice principles to ensure they act with honesty and integrity.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here . Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Segment: Credit, Compliance, Bank, Banking, Law, Finance, Legal