Requisition ID: 96479
Join the Global Community of Scotiabankers to help customers become better off.
Reporting to the Director, the Senior Manager is responsible for the maintenance and sound asset growth of a portfolio comprising financial institutions, with a focus on Banks and other non-bank financial institutions in North America and Western Europe. The Senior Manager adds value to the overall management of the Bank’s loan portfolios through the timely and accurate adjudication of credits within established underwriting guidelines and policies.
The Senior Manager will be dealing directly with senior management and banking counterparts in the Bank’s offices globally and will be exposed to significant and varied deal flow. Given a diverse range of risks in the portfolio and regular interaction with variety of internal contacts, the Senior Manager benefits from an environment which fosters continuous learning and development and, from an opportunity to make a positive contribution to the Bank as a credit expert.
What you’ll do in this role?
• Liaise and maintain a strong working relationship with marketing and execution personnel in banking units in Canada and globally.
• Review pertinent financial and industry information and perform in-depth risk assessment identifying material risk issues for incoming credit applications.
• Ensure all proposed credit exposures are in compliance with established guidelines and limits and provide rationale for exceptions.
• Provide recommendations to senior executives, present and participate in discussions in senior management Credit Committees.
• Adjudicate on credit applications within approved lending authority
• Conduct industry analysis and lending guideline policy reviews for submission to senior management, including preparation of board-level reports.
• Develop a high degree of industry knowledge and expertise and ensure the ongoing quality of the credit portfolio through the review of industry publications, the assessment of financial reporting packages, and ongoing discussions with banking officers.
• Review documentation governing particular credit facilities as required (i.e., trading documentation).
• Provide accurate data in a timely manner as requested by the various Bank offices/departments to satisfy regulatory and quarterly/monthly reporting requirements (e.g., Basel III, SOX, OSFI).
• Work on projects and special reviews as assigned by senior management.
• Assist with the training and development of staff.
What we’re looking for?
• MBA, CMA, CFA or CA Designation or equivalent industry/credit analysis experience. GARP or FRM designations also considered an asset.
• Risk assessment and portfolio management experience.
• Financial statement analysis and ability to conduct in-depth credit assessments of financial institutions, including forward-looking projections and stress testing.
• Knowledge of credit analysis frameworks, and experience in their application to complex financial institutions across multiple accounting, legal and regulatory jurisdictions globally.
• Knowledge of the financial sector and the main business activities of financial institutions, and ability to keep abreast of the quickly changing accounting, legal and regulatory landscape.
• Ability to keep up-to-date with new products and developments in financial services markets.
• Understanding of derivative products, sovereign (cross border) risks, deal structuring, due diligence & documentation, legal & accounting principles.
• Ability to make decisions and appropriate recommendations to senior management and effectively support such recommendations.
• Customer focused.
• Strong analytical, communication, problem solving, self-management, organization and technical skills.
This position is a one year contract. This position is located in downtown, Toronto
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
As Canada’s International Bank, we are a diverse and global team. We speak more than 100 languages with backgrounds from more than 120 countries. Our employees are committed to a superior customer experience and use the Bank’s six guiding sales practice principles to ensure they act with honesty and integrity.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here . Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Segment: Credit, Risk Management, Underwriter, Financial, Banking, Insurance, Finance