Job Posting #855254
Senior Finance Manager – Corporate
Site: MaRS Discovery Tower
Department: Finance – Grand Challenges Canada
Status: Permanent Full-time
Reporting to: Director of Finance
Grand Challenges Canada is dedicated to supporting Bold Ideas with Big Impact®. Funded by the Government of Canada and other partners, Grand Challenges Canada funds innovators in low- and middle-income countries and Canada. The bold ideas Grand Challenges Canada supports integrate science and technology, social and business innovation – known as Integrated Innovation®.
One of the largest impact-first investors in Canada, and with a feminist investment approach, Grand Challenges Canada has supported a pipeline of over 1000 innovations in more than 80 countries. Grand Challenges Canada estimates that these innovations have the potential to save up to 1 million lives and improve up to 28 million lives by 2030.
The Senior Finance Manager – Corporate is responsible for managing and overseeing the financial activities of the Corporate unit within the organization. The role includes managing all corporate financial activities, reviewing financial statements and reports, accounting/financial memos, ad-hoc projects and the training and development of staff. The role has a wide-ranging number of internal and external stakeholders.
Working closely with the Director of Finance, the responsibilities of the Senior Finance Manager – Corporate include, but are not limited to:
• Managing the monthly and quarterly financial close process, including the review of journal entries and reconciliations and variance analysis
• Financial reporting to Funders, Committee, Board of Directors and Senior Management
• Generate financial schedules to assist the management and finance team with the planning and strategic decision-making process on an ad hoc basis
• Oversee the corporate budgeting process and collaborating with department leads
• Oversee annual corporate audit and is the main point of contact with the corporate auditors
• Troubleshooting and resolving complex issues and problems escalated by staff
• Recommend and implement policies and procedures to improve or streamline processes in accordance with internal controls
• Liaise with internal and external professional service providers and funders. Respond to inquiries, provides information and reports, as requested
• Lead and/or participate in finance projects, which may include managing the project life cycle and ensuring project goals, timelines and budget are met; or participate as a team member; or guide and support project team members to meet project goals and timelines
• Plan and assign tasks to finance staff. Lead, motivate and mentor team members
• Evaluate and complete individual performance evaluations
• Perform other related duties as assigned by management. Adhere to established policies and procedures
• Bachelor degree in Finance/Accounting or other undergraduate degree in a related field
• CPA Designation (via CMA, CA)
• 5-10 years of team leadership experience, preferably in the not-for-profit environment
• Independent thought leadership – able to work independently, make timely decisions and drive solutions forward under pressure
• Proven problem-solving skills and the ability to think strategically and implement solutions at the management level
• Leadership and communication – excellent communication (oral and written) and presentation skills, is proactive in identifying issues, seeking solutions and able to build consensus across groups and individuals to implement solutions
• People management and business partnership – able to identify and resolve issues to implement change and efficiency
• Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
If you are interested in making your contribution at UHN, please apply on-line.
You will be asked to copy and paste as well as attach your resume and covering letter. You will also be required to complete some initial screening questions.
February 13, 2020
March 6, 2020
For current UHN employees, only those who have successfully completed their probationary period, have a good employee record along with satisfactory attendance in accordance with UHN’s attendance management program, and possess all the required experience and qualifications should apply.
UHN thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
UHN is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the Bona-fide requirements for the open position. Applicants need to make their requirements known when contacted.