Reporting to the IMITS Manager (Enterprise Systems and Software), the successful candidate provides technical expertise on the support and development of new and existing systems, applications, and tools. Applying a broad range of information technology experience and knowledge, the Senior Developer participates in a variety of projects that range from architecting, developing, implementing and supporting all applications within IMITS portfolio.
What you’ll do:
- Design and plan the architecture for the application environment, including business and clinical systems, and database environments. Conduct research, perform analysis and product reviews, identify technical specifications, develop technical whitepapers and business cases, and make recommendations. Carry out quality assurance (QA) testing and user acceptance testing (UAT) as required.
- Provide system administration and troubleshoot Web, client server and n-tier database issues including performance tuning and security. Assess and implement upgrades that affect the application environment. Install, configure, test and maintain software.
- Participate in project teams to ensure development activities adhere to implementation standards and practices. Recommend new procedures and tools, including capacity and trend reporting, issue management and prevention. Maintain the System Development Life Cycle processes and methodologies.
- Participate in projects including the evaluation and implementation of improvements to the overall environment, assisting with the development and monitoring of project budgets, preparing reports and conducting briefings. In conjunction with senior staff or manager, participate in contract negotiations with vendors.
- Coach and provide technical guidance to junior staff such as assistance with developing work plans, complicated scripts, and code reviews.
What you bring:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Information Systems, Computer Science or related discipline, plus a minimum of five to seven (5-7) years’ recent related experience in architecture planning, design, development, and delivery of highly available enterprise applications. Coding and designing solutions using Microsoft stack.
- Extensive knowledge of application architecture practices and procedures, understanding of the concepts of reuse around applications and SOA services when to apply, and ability to collaborate and communicate effectively with business groups, projects managers, architects and developers both internal and external.
- Extensive knowledge of data structure, operating systems and networking protocols, and n-tier client server / distributed development including an understanding of object-oriented and component-based systems architectures.
- The successful candidate should have a strong working knowledge in the following software development technologies:
- ASP.NET MVC
- MS SQL
- Cloud (Azure and AWS) functions and technologies
- Familiarity with one of the modern JS UI frameworks (ie. Angular, React, Vue, etc)
- In addition to technology stack, the candidate should also be familiar with:
- Solid understanding on API with working knowledge in MuleSoft is an asset.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills with the ability to communicate complex ideas in simple terminology.
- Ability to understand and clearly relate technical information and principals of operation to other members of the organization.
- Demonstrated organizational, analytical, and decision making skills.
Participation in a 24×7 on-call rotation may be required.
What’s in it for you:
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to more than 2,000 in-house training programs.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan.
- 12 annual statutory holidays with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- Perks include onsite fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Job type: Regular Full-Time
Location: 1795 Willingdon Ave. Burnaby, BC
Closing date: Open until position is filled
Reference number: 104356E
Information Management Information Technology Services (IMITS) is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA). PHSA provides specialized health services to British Columbians, including cancer care, organ transplantation, pediatrics, emergency services, mental health and substance use services. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose. Learn more about PHSA and our programs: https://jobs.phsa.ca/family-brands
We hire on the basis of merit and encourage all qualified applicants to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, backgrounds and experiences. We strive to create a safe and welcoming environment where everyone can come to work and be their best, authentic self.