As a Second Cook, you are responsible for assisting in the overall kitchen operations and maintenance as well as cleaning and sanitizing of designated kitchen areas, tools, equipment, pots, and dishes. This position is assigned to our Crossroads Lodge outside of Kitimat, BC
This position is safety sensitive and will require Drug and Alcohol testing as a condition of employment.
- Ensuring consistent quality standards in food preparation as per client’s requirements
- Ensuring proper safety and sanitation in kitchen in accordance with Food Safe protocol. Complies with and ensures food hygiene regulations are carried out accordance with Food Safety Act
- Preparing food items for Sandwich Making including:
- Selecting and cutting breads
- Cutting and wrapping sandwiches
- Slicing cold meats and cheese by hand or machine
- Distributing meats, fillings, garnish and other ingredients on breads
- Labeling sandwiches
- Visually inspecting appearance of all cold food for proper color combination and overall presentation to maintain appeal
- Checking and controlling proper storage of all food items in refrigerators and freezers to maintain product freshness
- Preparing and setting up a full salad bar for lunch and supper
- Incorporating into preparation any requests to comply with special dietary constraints
- Ensuring food stocks are utilized effectively
- Assisting with unloading, loading and placing of groceries and supplies
- Assisting Leadership in performing administrative tasks (i.e. maintaining Temperature logs refrigerator and internal cooked foods, etc.) effectively and efficiently
- Assisting with Horizon North Camps and Catering (HNCC) Workplace Health & Safety initiatives
- Ensuring health and safety regulations and quality standards are maintained
- Performing other related duties as required
- Advanced Food Safe preferred
- Minimum three 3 years' cooking experience in a similar or hotel/institutional environment preferred
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and analytical skills; and superior initiative and attitude
- Ability to prioritize multiple demands and strong customer service focus
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Ability and desire to work independently with minimal supervision, and as a team player
Working rotation: The normal work rotation consists of 14 days on and 7 days off, with 10-hour work days.
Horizon North is a Calgary, Alberta based, publicly listed corporation (TSX: HNL.TO) providing a range of industrial services and modular construction solutions.
Our industrial division supplies workforce accommodations, camp management services, access solutions, relocatable structures, and maintenance and utilities services.
Our modular construction division produces high-quality building solutions for commercial and residential clients, including; offices, hotels, and retail buildings, as well as distinctive single detached homes and multi-family residential structures.
As a result of our well-diversified offering, Horizon North is uniquely positioned to meet the needs of our customers in numerous sectors, anywhere in Canada.