Recognized for its dedication to inclusion, diversity, and strong partnerships with the community, the Richmond School District is among one of the largest districts in British Columbia with some of the highest graduation rates in the province. With a deep history of high-quality experiences for students, the Richmond School District strives to provide the best education and future for every student.
As an employer, we provide comprehensive growth, learning and engagement opportunities to the 3,400 committed professionals across the district. We are currently looking for a Roofing Technician to provide services relating to maintenance, alteration and construction of roofing gutters, scuppers, rain water leaders, flashings and drains across the District’s 53 facilities.
Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Inspection and repair of roofs, gutters, scuppers, rain water leaders, flashings and drains;
- Cleans debris and growth off roofs, cleans gutters and scuppers and clears drains;
- Re-roofs portables and small areas, as required;
- Coordinates leak responses in person, with contractors and with District staff;
- Performs cut tests as required to confirm existing roofing systems and substructures;
- Prioritizes re-roofing requirements;
- Conducts scheduled roofing visits to all District facilities and prepares condition reports for the development and updating of short- and long-term re-roofing plans;
- Assists with the preparation of re-roofing tenders and contracts;
- Inspects contractor’s work on new construction and large re-roofing projects;
- Liaises with roofing consultants and contractors to resolve problems;
- Operates tools and equipment of the trade plus daily inspection and operation of a service vehicle.
- Grade 12 or equivalent plus a Red Seal trade qualification as a Roofer as issued or recognized by the Province of British Columbia;
- Minimum four (4) years demonstrated work experience in a related field, including installation, repair, maintenance and condition assessment/reporting of commercial/institutional roofing systems;
- Demonstrated ability to read and interpret engineered drawings, blueprints, maintenance instructions and procedure manuals;
- Thorough knowledge of current techniques, methods, procedures and material applicable to the roofing trade;
- Ability to use aerial lifting devices such as genie lifts, scissor lifts and bucket trucks;
- Ability to determine, judge and select appropriate course of action within limits of established methods and procedures;
- Ability to adapt to changing circumstances and the flexibility to adapt plans and schedules to meet these circumstances;
- Working knowledge of digital technology, including email, spreadsheets, online databases and facilities management software used by the District;
- Ability to communicate effectively using tact, discretion and diplomacy;
- Ability to maintain a cooperative working relationship with other workers, administrators, supervisors, teaching staff, students and the public;
- Be physically able to lift up to 20kg and carry supplies and equipment required to perform all duties as noted, including the ability to work at heights and in adverse weather conditions;
- Competency in the use and care of tools and equipment common to the trade;
- Ability to organize workload and work with minimal supervision;
- Valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License.
Interested applicants must provide proof of qualifications in order to be considered.
This is a unionized position that offers a 40-hour work week with an hourly wage of $34.09, plus a comprehensive benefit package including Municipal Pension, health, vacation and sick benefits.
The successful applicant is required to consent to a Criminal Record Search prior to employment. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please submit your application at https://bit.ly/3nYmLDR.
The Richmond School District is the best place to learn and lead.