Calling all Frontline Heroes who are ready to make a difference.
We are painfully aware of the impact that COVID-19 has had on our society. Unfortunately, long-term care and retirement communities have felt this impact even more so, given we take care of the most vulnerable population.
We are looking for that special someone who is ready to join our team and help save the lives of our senior population. If you are passionate about making a difference, have a strong moral compass and are committed to teamwork, this is the right opportunity for you!
At our home, we are passionate about providing the utmost care for our residents – their wellbeing is our highest priority. We pride ourselves in offering a community within a community that people are happy to call ‘home’.
We are looking for Registered Practical Nurses. Shifts are based on needs of the home, but may include days, evenings, and weekends.
Please note that this position is considered Temporary Part-Time but will receive Full-Time hours.
What your day to day as a Registered Practical Nurse at Hawthorne Place Care Centre in North York would look like:
- Coordinates and oversees all aspects of resident focused delivery of care.
- Provide direct supervision, leadership and education to other members of the health care team.
- Acts as a resource and advocate for residents, families and staff.
- Promote the values, goals and philosophy of the Home.
- Promotes a safe and secure environment for all residents.
- Development and modification of the care plans in response to residents’ change in status
- Liaises with other health care personnel, agencies and families
- Assists in the investigation, documentation, resolution and reporting of complaints and incidents (i.e. suspected abuse)
- Maintains good relationships with Medical/Support/Home, staff, residents, families and general public
- Supervises all activities on his/her unit
- Monitors performance and completes performance evaluation for the PSW’s
- Directs, assigns and evaluates the work of the PSW’s
- May be in charge of Home as required. Utilizes leadership skills to identify problems and problem- solving on the unit
- Monitors that care delivered is consistent with the resident Bill of Rights.
- Coordinates all quality improvement activities on the unit
- Required to understand the nature and meaning of quality indicators used by the Home and to understand which indicators are publicly reported.
- Required to participate in the improvement of the indicators and achieve satisfactory results.
- Orders and ensures nursing supplies and equipment are properly and efficiently used
- Administers medications and treatments in compliance with the policies of Pharmacy provider, the Home and the Standard of the College of Nurses. Documents and reports all errors and omissions
- Maintains accurate and complete records of nursing observations and care in compliance with the legislative requirements and the policies of the Home
- Ensuring completion of documentation records by PSW
- Assesses changes in health status and reports changes to Substitute Decision Maker (SDM) and interdisciplinary team
- Completes assessments (RAI-MDS and other assessments) develops and updates plan of care for each resident in collaboration with the resident and/or SDM and the interdisciplinary team.
- Other duties as assigned and or indicated in Job Task Inventory
At Hawthorne Place Care Centre we take pride in our employees, so your qualifications are important to us. We use them to get to know you and see if we are a good fit for each other. The qualifications needed to join our family at are as follows:
- Current Certificate of Competence with the College of Nurses of Ontario as Registered Practical Nurse
- Basic CPR
- Ability to work with and relate to interdisciplinary team members
- Well-developed written and oral communication skills
- Prior managerial experience in long term care considered an asset
- Current vulnerable sector screening; valid within 6 months
- TB screening; within 6 months is also required
- Must have a recent negative COVID Swab.
How to apply?
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and references. We look forward to speaking with you, and making every moment matter!
Our organization takes the accessibility needs of employees with disabilities into account during the position summary review process. Employees are required to notify their director manager/supervisor if they have any particular accessibility needs and the organization will work with the employee to address them.
Hawthorne Place Care Centre is located near Finch Avenue West and Highway 400. This long term care home opened in 1973, and over the years has established many strong relationships with the community. We are just steps away from local restaurants and shopping centres, and we are proud to say we partner with Humber River Regional Hospital on Finch Avenue.
Our home serves 215 multicultural residents and prides itself on providing excellent care and specialty programs such as convalescent, Java Music Club and Montessori. Our convalescent care program has 34 residents and its multi-disciplinary team specializes in restorative care with a separate dedicated physiotherapy team.
A variety of recreation programs keep our residents independent, active and entertained. Residents can enjoy music therapy, monthly outings and weekly Italian cooking.