Are you a problem solver who thrives in ambiguity and can inspire others to thrive along with you? Do you want to work on initiatives across the Ontario Public Service (OPS) that help our organization be more strategic, future-oriented, and make a measurable difference in the lives of Ontarians? Join the Policy Innovation Hub in Cabinet Office’s Strategy and Innovation Branch and make a difference.
is the Premier’s ministry. It provides the Premier and his Cabinet with advice and analysis to help the government achieve its priorities.
The Branch .
is an in-house consultancy that partners with ministries to deliver on government priorities by providing hands-on support, training, and flexible resources. We help ministries develop, modernize, or transform government strategies, policies, programs, and services. The Hub combines traditional and innovation consulting into practice areas and services focused on public sector innovation: strategy and strategic foresight, systemic design, and service design. Our mission is to provide the greatest value for government and the people, communities, and organizations of Ontario.
We are looking for three senior consultants to join our multi-disciplinary, passionate team of public servants. You will provide hands-on consulting services to ministries from strategy to frontline delivery and accelerate public sector innovation and whole-of-government transformation.
Are you up for the challenge?
Why work for the Ontario Public Service?
The Ontario Public Service is committed to being an employer of first choice, creating a positive and inclusive work environment.
• Paid statutory holidays
• Pay in lieu of benefits with optional enrolment in our group benefit plan
• A defined benefit pension plan
• Flexible work arrangements
• Welcoming and professional work culture
• Career growth and development opportunities across multiple business areas
What can I expect to do in this role?
As a Policy Advisor and Senior Consultant, you will lead or support consulting engagements across the organization. You will lead and support one or more functions of our business, generate new business, and have a significant role in the day-to-day operations of the Hub. You will also advise in the development of Hub strategic planning and build networks across the OPS community and public sector innovation space.
While we are working remotely during COVID-19, we have always had a flexible work environment with standing desks and a remote work policy when we work from the historic Whitney Block in Queen’s Park.
How do I qualify?
• You have passion for and significant experience with public sector innovation, consulting, and/or driving organizational change.
• You have extensive experience developing, implementing, and leading strategic initiatives.
• You have experience leading cross-functional teams.
• You can see and interpret the world through systems, strategy, services, and stories.
• You can navigate ambiguity and have a passion for solving complex and challenging issues.
• You have strong project management skills and a demonstrated ability to lead projects and deliver results.
Technical Knowledge and Analytical Skills
• You have demonstrated knowledge of one or more Policy Innovation Hub practice areas: strategy and strategic foresight, systemic design, and/or service design.
• You have demonstrated knowledge of government priorities and knowledge of policy development process.
• You have demonstrated ability to develop and implement performance measurement framework and conduct an evaluation.
• You have demonstrated knowledge of qualitative research methods such as ethnography, interviewing, focus groups, coding qualitative data.
• You have demonstrated knowledge of quantitative research methods such as sampling, descriptive design, correlational design, statistical analysis.
• You have demonstrated knowledge to design, execute, and evaluate an experimental policy, program, or service intervention.
• Ability to use WordPress and maintaining and enhancing OPS intranet sites, including the InsideOPS platform is an asset.
• You possess superior written communication skills to lead the development of a range of materials including briefing decks, consultation plans, and training documents.
• You have compelling written and spoken communication skills with the ability to cater and convey complex information in consumable ways for a wide range of audiences – from interns to senior executives and small boardrooms to large auditoriums.
• You have strong visual design skills on typical computer software and a whiteboard sketch.
• You have a strong ability to facilitate small and large groups to work through challenging and complex issues.
• You have awareness of when to use plain language and when to use insider terminology that demonstrates the unique skills you possess.
• You have excellent inter-personal skills and are easily able to develop relationships with a wide range of internal and external partners.
• You have exceptional verbal communication skills and can explain complex concepts to anyone, including briefing senior management, liaising with internal/external partners, and providing instruction and guidance to team members.
Stakeholder Management Skills and Political Acuity
• You can build strong relationships with innovation partners from across the OPS, in other levels of government (municipal, provincial/territorial, federal and international), the broader public sector, and the non-profit and private sectors.
• You have a high degree of tact, discretion and political acuity to handle confidential material and provide strategic support and excellent customer service in response to inquiries.
• You have the ability to build consensus, influence key partners, and facilitate mutual agreement for proposed options.
• You can proactively seek out opportunities for Hub engagement and work collaboratively with team members to achieve Hub goals.
• You are comfortable working in situations of unclear direction and able to embrace challenging situations while maintaining a positive attitude.
Project Management Skills
• You have superior project management skills and can lead multiple, concurrent projects and work with senior officials to effectively resolve issues.
• You have the ability to prioritize to ensure timely responses to a high volume of requests from various stakeholders.
• You have the ability to tie project management to overall strategy and the future of our team.
• You can work iteratively and with persistence to deliver, particularly in situations where direction is unclear or in situations where the approach has not previously been tested.
The successful candidate may be required to undergo a satisfactory criminal reference check prior to the commencement of employment.
Please submit your cover letter and resume in one document to:
Quote in the Subject Line: “Policy Advisor and Senior Consultant” and File # “CO 53-20-21”
Only one attachment per application is accepted. Your cover letter and resume combined should not exceed five (5) pages unless otherwise stated.
Please indicate in your application where you heard about this vacancy.