Reporting to the Plant Manager – Master Grower (MG), the Plant Specialist is responsible for supporting the Master Grower and functioning as the Alternate Master Grower of the licensed site (located in Midway, BC) in the absence of the Master Grower (upon successful receipt of the required security clearance from Health Canada). The Plant Specialist supports the Plant Manager in the day to day production and management of labor for optimal cannabis production, ensuring that cannabis products produced meet the organization’s objectives for quality, safety, regulatory and customer expectations in accordance with the Cannabis Act & relevant regulations. The Plant Specialist will advise on, establish and monitor quality and compliant perpetual growing and production schedules of cannabis when the Plant Manager is offsite.
BZAM is as awesome as it sounds! We are an integrated cannabis company whose mission and brand stand for quality and integrity. Our commitment to excellence, service and employee satisfaction is demonstrated in our agile and strategic approach to market entry and investment in our people. As an emerging company in a rapid growth industry, BZAM’s innovative and accomplished leadership team is the cornerstone of our business and portfolio development.
Job Scope Responsibilities:
- Assist in managing the licensed site’s Cultivation Dept. (Plant Technicians, Plant Associates) and lead in developing and maintaining operational plant programs to ensure quality and compliance under the Cannabis Act/Regulations, working cross-departmentally (i.e. Sanitation, Maintenance, QA);
- Assist in monitoring, and assume responsibility for overall plant health and crop yield; ensure maximum yields, cost efficiency, and quality standards through plant strain analysis and other analytical observations;
- Assist in overseeing all tasks related to growing process, including seeding, cloning, transplanting, nutrient management, pest management, defoliation, topping, flushing, foliar, waste disposal, etc.;
- Assist in development and maintenance of nutrient regimes; perform water, nutrient and soil tests to determine nutrient selection;
- Assist in development and maintenance of protocols for lighting, temperature and humidity manipulation and irrigation controls;
- Assist in performing preventative maintenance on test instruments and growing equipment to mitigate development of plant diseases, insects and fungi;
- Work with MG in maintaining mother plants for research, tissue culture and future production; monitor clone production according to harvest schedules;
- Assist in coordination of all production schedules to ensure staffing coverage and efficiency of plant operations;
- Collaborate with MG in development and implementation of training programs around plant operations and record keeping compliance; collaborate training programs with People & Culture teams and assess training gaps continuously;
- Keep accurate records and ensure documentation is readily accessible and highly organized;
- Maintain current knowledge of best practices for the provisions of the Cannabis Act and Cannabis Regulations that apply to the license holder; and
- Other duties as required.
Required Responsibilities as per Cannabis Regulations (upon successful completion:
- Function as the AMG to support the Plant Manager (MG) or designated Alternates in plant operation matters as it pertains to compliance under the Cannabis Act/Cannabis Regulations;
- Ensure that plant operations of the licensed site comply with the requirements of the Cannabis Regulations;
- In lieu of MG, oversee cultivation, propagation and harvesting of cannabis.; and
- Submit, secure and maintain a valid security clearance.
WHAT YOU BRING:
- Post-secondary Diploma or Degree in a related field (i.e. Biology, Horticulture, Plant Biology) preferred;
- 3-5 + years’ supervisory experience in a cannabis environment (i.e. ACMPR licensed facility);
- Pest Management Certification;
- Recent Criminal Record Check completed (required prior to hiring);
- Good understanding of Cannabis Regulations compliance and application in relation to plant operations;
- Advanced knowledge of cannabis plant and genetics strongly preferred;
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule; and
- Valid security clearance (ACMPR or Cannabis Regulations) strongly preferred.
You Are FOCUSED, DETAIL ORIENTED, ORGANIZED AND METHODICAL. Nothing gets by you and you are a master at time management.
You are a CLEAR COMMUNICATOR capable of speaking professionally, clearly and concisely.
You are ADAPTABLE, able to move with shifting priorities without compromising compliance and quality.
- Demonstrable experience in growing cannabis;
- Proven experience in supervising individuals/teams in dynamic environments; and
- Experience with perpetual harvesting;
WHAT WE OFFER:
- Competitive Compensation and Benefits Package
- Rapid growth and advancement potential
- Learning and development opportunities
- Dynamic and innovative environment
- Exceptional culture
- **Some living provisions (area is remote)**
BZAM is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that values the strength of diversity within the workplace. All qualified applicants, regardless of race, colour, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or expression, nationality, age, disability or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law, are strongly encouraged to apply.