This position reports to the Photo Manager, and oversees all other positions within the photo department. The Assistant Photo Manager will have photographic, sales, guest service, leadership, training, and administrative responsibilities, and will be expected to cover absences of the Photo Manager.
Reporting directly to the Photo Manager, the Assistant Photo Manager is responsible for the day to day running of the department sales operations (in the Photo Gallery and any other associated sales areas). The Assistant Photo Manager also assists the Photo Manager in all areas of team development and training, developing and introducing new products and initiatives, ensuring consistent delivery of all Photo Department products and services (as per Standard Operating Procedures and known best practices) and driving revenue and guest satisfaction in all department areas to achieve budgeted goals, with some involvement in day to day administration.
The Assistant Photo Manager is also expected to be able to cover all of the Photo Manager and Photo Lab Technicians duties during absences (conferences, illness etc). In order to consistently exceed guest expectations and provide the highest levels of product and services, additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned as needed.
Reporting to the Photo Manager this role requires overseeing the entire Photo Department sales operations and assisting with the running of all daily operations to ensure both revenue and guest satisfaction is maximized in order to exceed budgeted goals.
• Ensure all photographs are displayed in a timely manner, and ensure the photo display panels are kept neat, organized and presentable at all times, as per Standard Operating Procedures
• Maintain sufficient retail and consumable supply inventories and displays in the Photo Gallery at all times, accurately report inventory levels on a per cruise basis, complete Inventory paperwork for submission to corporate office, and handle all required inventory movements onboard (using MXP)
• Work with the Photo Manager to develop an effective sales and promotion strategy each cruise
• Prepare all Freestyle Daily advertising and other required promotional material in coordination with the Product of the Day schedule and the overall sales and promotion strategy agreed with the Photo Manager
• Prepare and maintain all department signage, and ensure accuracy, consistency and compliance with current corporate branding guidelines
• Process all outsourced retail orders in a timely manner, and follow up on any guest requests/customer service issues referred from shore-side
• Conduct educational seminars for guests to promote Photo Department services and products
• Take ownership of and handle effectively any guest requests (onboard or shore-side referrals), complaints and questions (photo department and general shipboard issues) at any time
• Regularly review service procedures, and proactively find ways to improve service levels and prevent customer service issues from arising
• Monitor team timesheets for accuracy and compliance with company regulations
• Photograph any events as required
• Protect all company inventory and equipment through proper handling and security procedures at all times
• Ensure departmental compliance to all hotel practices and shipboard policies by reporting to the department head any non-compliant practices
• Maintain familiarity with the Safety and Environmental Management System and all applicable shipboard and department Standard Operating Procedures, and ensure the adherence of all Photo Department operations to these standards
College educated, complete resume showing required experience, with strong professional and character references. Where no relevant education exists, suitable experience may be taken into consideration. Applicant must have intermediate/advanced computer literacy, knowledge of and experience using Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint; Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom; and MXP, and be able to operate other advanced computer systems, touch-screen kiosks and perform basic computer troubleshooting procedures.
Degree, diploma or equivalent in photography, with at least 12 months practical photographic experience is required for this position. If applicant has no formal qualifications, suitable photographic experience will be taken into consideration in lieu of qualifications. In addition, the applicant should have at least one year’s experience as a shipboard photographer, although any other relevant experience may be taken into account in lieu of this requirement.
• All vessel positions require repetitive motion of bending, climbing, going up and down stairs and lifting more than 25 pounds
• Must be able to stand for long periods of time
• All team members must be physically able to participate in emergency life saving procedures and drills. All vessel positions require full use and range of arms and legs as well as full visual, verbal and hearing abilities to receive and give instructions in the event of an emergency including the lowering of lifeboats.
• Work within different temperature ranges – indoors, and outdoors in varying weather conditions
• Able to pass basic safety course
• This is a minimal description of duties. Other work requirements may be necessary and assigned as business or maritime law dictates.
Must be able to work quickly and efficiently, leading a team of up to 20 staff, to deliver the highest standards of sales and customer service on cruise ships with up to 4000 guests onboard, to maximize guest satisfaction and revenue for the Photographic Department. Must enjoy working with the public, and be able to actively converse with guests and crew in clear, fluent English.