This position is responsible for outreach activities designed to connect individuals who are homeless or at risk of homelessness with appropriate resources by use of the principles of psychosocial rehabilitation practices and in line with the mission, objectives and policies of Coast Mental Health.
Typical duties include
• Actively seek out individuals in the community who are homeless or at risk of homelessness and may require community supports and services. Assess their suitability for the program based on the established guidelines.
• Work with client support networks to facilitate successful independent living.
• Provide one to one support and counseling on life skills and health maintenance.
• Implement, when necessary, crisis management techniques.
• Participate in appropriate community / public relations regarding Coast outreach program. This includes networking with appropriate agencies, publicizing services and engaging in public presentations.
• Provide input and assist the manager with the planning, development, and evaluation of the outreach program.
• Maintain all relevant records and statistics for both Coast reporting and BC Housing requirements.
• Fulfill any other responsibility as assigned and may develop within the job description.
Knowledge and Abilities
• Knowledge of housing issues and community resources
• Knowledge of psychosocial rehabilitation practices
• Knowledge of program policy and procedures
• Knowledge and proficiency in relevant software
• Ability to work with clients living with mental illness
• Ability to work effectively independently and in cooperation with others
• Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
• Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
• Ability to observe and recognize changes in clients.
• Demonstrated ability to facilitate groups.
• Some knowledge of the criminal justice system
• We believe in the person, not the disease
• We operate client-centered care under the principles of psychosocial rehabilitation
• There is a variety of work within a particular position and within the organization
• We strive to be the best that we can be
• We hold Exemplary Status accreditation through Accreditation Canada
• We have won numerous awards for our innovative programming
• We care about our employees, and believe in living our values and culture throughout the organization