OPSEU JOB POSTING # 871507
MEDICAL LABORATORY TECHNOLOGIST
Site: LABORATORY MEDICINE PROGRAM – Toronto General Hospital
Reports to: MANAGER
Salary Range: $32.43 per hour to $43.36 per hour (Start rate: $32.43 per hour in accordance with collective agreement requirements)
Hours: 37.5 HOURS PER WEEK; ALL SHIFTS 24/7
Status: PERMANENT FULL-TIME
University Health Network (UHN)
is looking for an experienced professional to fill the key role of
Medical Laboratory Technologist
in our Histocompatibility
Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning.
The University Health Network, where
above all else the needs of patients come first , encompasses
Toronto General Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre, Toronto Rehabilitation Institute and the Michener Institute of Education at UHN . The breadth of research, the complexity of the cases treated, and the magnitude of its educational enterprise has made UHN a national and international resource for patient care, research and education. Tthe University Health Network (UHN), Canada’s largest research teaching hospital, brings together over 16,000 employees, more than 1,200 physicians, 8,000+ students, and many volunteers. UHN is a caring, creative place where amazing people are amazing the world.
The scope of research and complexity of cases at Toronto General Hospital have made it a national and international source for discovery, education and patient care. It has one of the largest hospital-based research programs in Canada, with major research in transplantation, surgical innovation, cardiology, infectious diseases, genomic medicine and liver disease.
Find out about our purpose, values and principles here .
As an integral member of the Laboratory team, the
MEDICAL LABORATORY TECHNOLOGIST
responsibilities include: performing laboratory procedures for all disciplines and functions and ensuring the completion of assigned workload; operating, troubleshooting and maintaining cleanliness of laboratory equipment and work area; preparing written and electronic reports required to document procedures and test results; participating in teaching, educational, safety and quality improvement programs; observing and understanding Hospital and departmental policies and procedures; adhering to Hospital and departmental mission and value statements while maintaining patient confidentiality; performing cross-functional duties, as assigned, or requested; performing other duties related to and consistent with the job classification, as required.
• Completion of a recognized Medical Laboratory Technologist program
• Current registration with the College of Medical Laboratory Technologists (CMLTO)
• Two (2) year recent laboratory experience in a large hospital laboratory preferred
• Minimum 1 year experience in a Histocompatibility Laboratory preferred
• Certification and/or experience in Immunology preferred
• Certification and/or experience in Molecular diagnostic testing preferred
• ASHI Certified Histocompatibility Technologist (CHT) preferred
• Demonstrates ability to develop skill and knowledge in all areas of the laboratory (on-the-job experience)
• Knowledge of the theory and practice of laboratory procedures, instruments, equipment and special techniques (on-the-job experience), in assigned area
• Excellent problem recognition and problem solving-skills
• Effective time management skills; ability to organize work and set priorities
• Effective verbal and written communication skills
• Computer literacy
• Ability to work effectively as a team member
• Ability to work effectively and efficiently in a fast paced environment
• Ability to work accurately under stressful conditions
• Knowledge of applicable Hospital and departmental policies, procedures, guidelines, protocols and practices
• Demonstrated commitment to continuing education
POSTED DATE: February 18, 2021
CLOSING DATE: February 25, 2021
For current UHN employees, only those who have successfully completed their probationary period, have a good employee record along with satisfactory attendance in accordance with UHN’s attendance management program, and possess all the required experience and qualifications should apply.
University Health Network thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
UHN is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the Bona-fide for the open position. Applicants need to make their requirements known when contacted.