100 King Street West
Job Family Group:
Finance & Accounting
The Manager, Commission Accounting, is responsible for supporting the administration of the compensation plans for the Nesbitt Burns Investment Advisors and the Estate and Insurance Advisors.
This role is responsible for the accurate and timely processing of commission pay, recording of commissions related revenue in the general ledger, providing support to Wealth Management Finance and the Nesbitt Burns branches, and maintaining strong governance and controls to meet regulatory, audit and SOX requirements.
As a key member of the Controller/Compensation team, the Manager contributes by providing guidance, decision support, analyses and presentations to Wealth Management Finance, HR and Technology teams, as it relates to commissions revenues and expenses, measurement of the compensation plans, proposed plan changes, ad hoc requests and compensation systems.
Applies expertise and provides advice in calculation, analysis, and reporting of financial results in compliance with applicable standards and regulatory requirements. Works across BMO to deliver accounting program / process results aligned with overall group goals. Reviews and/or personally delivers some accounting services and processing activities. Supports an efficient and effective accounting function that uses common information sources and practices, reduces ongoing costs, and increases service level performance.
- Manages people and leads a team capable of delivering the desired business results.
- Executes work to deliver timely, accurate, and relevant information and reporting of group, legal entity, and reportable segments results for management and statutory reporting.
- Provides input into the planning and implementation of financial programs to manage the fiscal period close processes.
- Works in conjunction with others to ensure sign-off and attest to reported financial results.
- Analyses data and information to provide financial performance insights and recommendations for consolidated business financial statements.
- Identifies emerging issues and trends to inform decision-making.
- Monitors and tracks financial information compliance with standards and regulations, and addresses any issues.
- Provides information and supports the process for internal (e.g. corporate, SOX) and external audits.
- Integrates information from multiple sources to enable more efficient processes, enhanced analysis, and/or streamlined reporting.
- Designs and produces regular and ad-hoc reports and dashboards.
- Builds effective relationships with internal/external stakeholders across functional disciplines.
- Acts as liaison between stakeholders to align agendas and ensure a clear contextual understanding of the business needs.
- Supports development and execution of accounting, risk, and regulatory strategic initiatives in collaboration with internal and external stakeholders.
- Liaises with internal and external auditors and regulators to provide necessary information to support arising issues and responses to questions.
- Acts as a trusted advisor to assigned business/group to interpret accounting changes identified by the Chief Accountants’ Group; assesses impacts on financial results and reporting requirements; supports the implementation of applicable process and control change requirements.
- Assists in the development of strategic plans to manage and execute the reporting / accounting needs and support business objectives.
- Participates in the design, implementation, and management of core business, group, legal entity financial processes, reporting, systems, and controls to improve the quality and effectiveness of financial information and management of risks.
- Focus is primarily on business/group within BMO; may have broader, enterprise-wide focus.
- Provides specialized consulting, analytical and technical support.
- Exercises judgment to identify, diagnose, and solve problems within given rules.
- Works independently and regularly handles non-routine situations.
- Broader work or accountabilities may be assigned as needed.
- Typically between 5 – 7 years of relevant experience and post-secondary degree in related field of study or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Professional accounting designation is preferred.
- Deep knowledge and technical proficiency gained through extensive education and business experience.
- Verbal & written communication skills – In-depth.
- Collaboration & team skills – In-depth.
- Analytical and problem solving skills – In-depth.
- Influence skills – In-depth.
- Data driven decision making – In-depth.
We’re here to help
At BMO we are driven by a shared Purpose: Boldly Grow the Good in business and life. It calls on us to create lasting, positive change for our customers, our communities and our people. By working together, innovating and pushing boundaries, we transform lives and businesses, and power economic growth around the world.
As a member of the BMO team you are valued, respected and heard, and you have more ways to grow and make an impact. We strive to help you make an impact from day one – for yourself and our customers. We’ll support you with the tools and resources you need to reach new milestones, as you help our customers reach theirs. From in-depth training and coaching, to manager support and network-building opportunities, we’ll help you gain valuable experience, and broaden your skillset.
To find out more visit us at https://jobs.bmo.com/ca/en .
BMO is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. By learning from each other’s differences, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. To request accommodation, please contact your recruiter.