Company: Kaster Logging Ltd.
Business information: We produce high quality saw logs and veneer, specializing in exporting to many countries. Saw logs are used for flooring, skateboards, furniture, lumber and many more other uses. Veneer logs are used for panels and plywood. All logs are 2 and 3-sided cut from hard maple, ash, cherry, red and white oak. We take great pride in harvesting timber from private lands governed by municipal by-laws and provincial laws of the government of Ontario. The result of these laws are healthy and productive forests.
Business addressee: 5265 Highway 26 East, Stayner, ON, L0M 1S0
Work Location: Province of Ontario including Simcoe County, Durham Region, Northumberland County and Prince Edward County.
Type of Employment: Full time – Permanent
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
– Operate machines to transport trees from logging areas to landing or log loading sites in mountainous terrain (different sites in Ontario)
– Assist other logging and forestry workers
– Assess site and terrain and drive heavy equipment to perform a combination of felling, slashing, bucking, bunching and forwarding operations at logging areas.
– Operate a variety of machines which perform a combination of slashing, bucking, chipping, sorting and loading logs or trees at landing sites.
– May maintain and perform minor repairs on skidders, chain saws and other equipment
-Education: Completion of secondary school is required.
-Experience: A minimum of 2 years of experience operating skidder, feller buncher, forest loggin machinery and/or chain saw is required.
-A minimum of 2 years of experience in working with falling trees, limbing trees, bucking trees, skidding trees is required.
-Workplace hazardous materials information system (WHMIS) and first aid certificates are assets and can be obtained once the employment starts.
-Knowledge of tree harvesting regulations is an asset.
-On-the-job training is provided; however, experience is required due to due to the complexity of machinery operated, the type of woodlands used and due to safety reasons.
Working Conditions and Physical Capabilities: Work under pressure, Handling heavy loads, Physically demanding hand-eye co-ordination, Combination of sitting, standing, walking, Bending, crouching, kneeling, Large workload.
Work site environment: Outdoors, Dangerous, Noisy, Dusty.
Personal suitability: Organized, Accurate, Team player, Flexibility, Reliability.
Weight handling: Up to 45 kg (100 lbs).
Salary: $26.50 to $27.50 hourly, 6-9 hours per day. 30-45 Hours per week.
Benefits: Paid accommodation provided if the job site is far from home. Mileage paid after 100 km.
The position involves working away from home. Regular schedule is from 6 AM to 3 PM during summer and from 7:30 AM to 4:30 PM in winter. The schedule can vary according to the business needs. Work may include working up to 9 days at the job site, then 5 days off are provided. Overtime work might be required.
– Flexibility on schedule is required due to the weather conditions.
– Working on weekends is required due to weather conditions.
– Working as Logging machinery operator could be dangerous. Safety policy procedures must be observed all the times to prevent accidents at the job site and to prevent damage on the machinery