Moderate previous experience performing similar work is required for this job.
Assist lawyers by researching legal precedent, investigating facts or preparing legal documents. Conduct research to support a legal proceeding, to formulate a defense or to initiate legal action. Investigate facts and laws of cases to determine causes of action and to prepare cases. Appraise and inventory personal property for estate planning and arbitrate disputes between parties. Assist in the real estate closing process. Call upon witnesses to testify at hearings, and answer questions regarding legal issues pertaining to civil service hearings.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Completing administrative duties such as answering phones, making copies and greeting clients
• Prepare affidavits or other documents, such as legal correspondence, and organize and maintain documents in paper or electronic filing system
• Prepare for trial by performing tasks such as organizing exhibits
• Keep track of billing and invoicing
• Correspond with council, court Direct and coordinate law office activity, including delivery of subpoenas;
• File pleadings with court clerk and clients
• Coordinate appointments and travel plans
• A bachelor’s degree or equivalent
• 2-5 years’ experience as a legal assistant or paralegal
• Ability to type 70+ WPM
• Ability to manage one’s own time and the time of others
• Attention to Detail — Job requires being careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks.
• Cooperation — Job requires being pleasant with others on the job and displaying a good-natured, cooperative attitude.
• Dependability — Job requires being reliable, responsible, and dependable, and fulfilling obligations.
• Integrity — Job requires being honest, ethical and keeping confidentiality.
• Initiative — Job requires a willingness to take on responsibilities and challenges.
Key Performance Indicators
• Always on time and has an excellent attendance record
• Dresses business professional
• Understands and complies with the confidentiality and sensitivity required
Attention to detail
• Focused and observant in meetings and when with clients
• Thorough and complete with all work
• Organized and efficient with data entry and processing documents
• Is an effective communicator, written and verbally
• Has the ability to communicate up, down and across the business lines
• Excels in developing lines of communication with external clients and stakeholders.
• Regularly contributes ideas and insights to team
• Effective listener
Organization and Time management
• Able to keep all data organized and accurate
• Ability to manage competing deadlines
• Able to keep supplies stocked and within budget
• Regularly meets all required deadlines
• Improves the organization’s administration