The R&D Rigsite Software group creates rugged, high-performance, safety-critical instrumentation for drilling and service rigs in a complex, and demanding environment. Within the R&D Rigsite Software group is the EDR Mainline & Sustaining team which forms a core part of the Pason EDR software ecosystem (EDR – Electronic Drilling Recorder). The EDR Mainline & Sustaining team is responsible for small features to the EDR software, field and EDR software support to our developers, QA team and our customers, along with creation and maintenance of the automated EDR testing suite, the team handles the EDR software release management activities, and resolves software defects which improves the core of the Pason EDR software.
Pason is seeking a Junior Software Developer to join the EDR Mainline & Sustaining team. You will be on the front line supporting the core of the EDR software through field and product support as well as being involved in the software development activities the EDR Mainline & Sustaining team is responsible for.
The field and product support activities revolve around investigating and resolving core EDR software issues experienced by the R&D software developers and/or the QA team along with investigating and resolving issues experienced by our customers. You will be supporting the R&D software developers and/or QA team to ensure internal issues are fully investigated and resolved before the EDR software is released to production. With the software running in the production environment, you will be supporting the EDR Tier 3 field support group to investigate and resolve issues experienced in production.
You will also be involved in the software development activities that the EDR Mainline & Sustaining team is responsible for. These activities include resolving EDR software defects, performing EDR software release management activities, developing new automated tests along with maintaining the current automated EDR test suite, and be involved in the development of small EDR features used by our customers. The EDR software release management activities ensures the latest software is released to the field, source control activities are performed, the latest product charge lists are deployed, and the release notes are updated to ensure our customers are aware of the latest changes and new features in the products. For the automated test suite, which uses Groovy, Jenkins, and Gradle, you will be improving and maintaining the automated test suite to ensure the automated tests are always performed and notifying the R&D group of any failures.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
· Perform and improve the automated testing suite used on the software products to ensure the software delivered to the QA group is fully functional and works as expected.
· Work closely with the project manager on the software release management activities (deploy software to production, source control management, etc.)
· Investigate and resolve software issues impacting our customer’s which are escalated from the Tier 3 team
· Support the QA group on issues uncovered during QA testing
· Design, implement, and test software features and bug fixes for the Rigsite drilling system utilizing our extensive suite of development tools. We implement in a variety of technologies, primarily Java and Python along with ReactJS and SpringBoot on Linux and Windows
· Analyze and improve system performance, reliability and manageability
· Understand internal and external customers’ needs by formalizing requirements, design and implement new products and features while working with the key stakeholders
· Contribute to teams by describing your project’s progress, identifying risks and issues and providing mitigation strategies
· Contribute to our evolving development environment through research, experimenting with new technologies and courses.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
· Well-developed communication skills with strong commitment to quality
· Ability to work in a team or as an individual with a passion for software development
· Proficient with Java and Python on Linux environment
· Experience with REST and client development is an asset.
· Experience with database systems and SQL queries
· Experience with developer tools like PyCharm, IntelliJ IDEA, Jira, Crucible, Gradle, Jenkins, SVN and Git
· Experience in applying UML and design patterns to create software solutions
· One or more years of software development experience using industry-standard software development processes
· A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or Computer Engineering; or
· A diploma in Computer Science, Software Engineering or Computer Engineering