As a full time First Cook, you are responsible for preparing and cooking all main meals as per requirements; and ensuring all meals are prepared and served on time to the highest standards of Horizon North. This position can be assigned to our Crossroads Lodge.
This position is safety sensitive and will require Drug and Alcohol testing as a condition of employment.
- Cook a variety of appetizing meals which includes: meats, seafood, soups, poultry, vegetables and other food items
- Use all kinds of cooking method to prepare top quality food including deep-frying, pan-frying, broiling, baking, boiling, grilling, sautéing, steaming and other methods
- Ensure that all meals are prepared within the allocated food budget
- Ensure consistency in food delivery including cooking, handling, storing and labeling products in accordance with FOODSAFE standards
- Perform other duties in final food presentation including plating and garnishing
- Operate all kinds of commercial and non-commercial kitchen equipment such as stoves, ovens, steamers, grills, broilers and other equipment
- Assist in menu planning, inventory counts and grocery orders
- Assist in maintaining the cleanliness and sanitation of dining room and kitchen areas
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in the hospitality / food service industry
- Minimum 1 year prior experience as a Sous Chef in hotels, resorts, restaurants and/or camps, with the cooking competency and knowledge of international and domestic cuisines
- Experience with outside catering is an asset
- Interprovincial Red Seal Certification is an asset
- Knowledge of Computer programs (Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Sysco, Outlook)
- Thorough knowledge of food products, standard recipes and proper preparation methods
- Must have an excellent practical and theoretical background in all areas of the kitchen i.e: Hot Kitchens, Cold Kitchens, Pastry / Bakery, Butchery and Banquets dealing with large numbers of guests;
- Good communication, interpersonal and organization skills
- Fluent in English; both verbal and written
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast paced environment
Working rotation: The normal work rotation consists of 14 days on and 7 days off, with at least 10 hour work days.
Horizon North is a Calgary, Alberta based, publicly listed corporation (TSX: HNL.TO) providing a range of industrial services and modular construction solutions.
Our industrial division supplies workforce accommodations, camp management services, access solutions, relocatable structures, and maintenance and utilities services.
Our modular construction division produces high-quality building solutions for commercial and residential clients, including; offices, hotels, and retail buildings, as well as distinctive single detached homes and multi-family residential structures.
As a result of our well-diversified offering, Horizon North is uniquely positioned to meet the needs of our customers in numerous sectors, anywhere in Canada.