Requisition ID: 93259
Roynat Capital, a wholly owned subsidiary of Scotiabank, is a national lender and investor with expertise in providing innovative long-term capital solutions for mid-sized companies utilizing senior term, subordinated debt, as well as mezzanine capital and common share equity. We provide tailored solutions to clients for acquisitions, business expansions, wealth monetization, and working capital enhancement. With a national presence in Canada in major markets, Roynat assists growth-oriented companies in reaching their goals across a wide range of industries.
The Director Risk Management, Technology & Innovation Banking is responsible for supporting the profitable growth of the overall Technology & Innovation Banking loan and investment portfolio, by exercising sound credit judgment in approving and recommending applications, monitoring credit quality and conditions, and collection activity, thereby ensuring acceptable risk and minimized loan losses.
In this role you will report the Vice President, Roynat Risk Management adjudicating and/or supporting the adjudication of transactions across Canada, including syndicated loans, while ensuring appropriate regulatory and internal policies are followed.
Please note: This positon can be located in Calgary, Toronto, Oakville or Montreal
• Lead and drive a customer focused culture throughout their team to deepen client relationships and leverage broader Bank relationships, systems and knowledge.
• Lead and contribute to the profitable growth and quality of Roynat/Scotiabank’s Technology and Innovation Banking portfolio by:
- Acting as an internal industry and subject matter thought leader helping shape the Bank’s industry view and risk appetite
- Understanding how the Bank’s risk appetite and risk culture should be considered in day-to-day activities and decisions.
- Ensuring loan losses and portfolio profile are managed within prescribed limits
- Authorizing/declining applications for credit proposals within established criteria including:
- Term credits
- Subordinated Debt Credits
- Recommendation of equity investments as required
- Providing guidance and counsel to Banking Centres on quality of submission, analysis, presentation
- Recommending credits/investments in excess of limits to Senior Leadership and/or Senior Credit Committee
- Providing strong direction to Banking Centres in terms of management of risk and maximization of equity gains through regular reporting and monitoring
- Building and maintaining a high-performance environment and implements a people strategy that attracts, retains, develops and motivates their team by fostering an inclusive work environment and using a coaching mindset and behaviors; communicating vison/values/business strategy; and, managing succession and development planning for the team.
• Ensure the ongoing quality of the credit portfolio by:
- Supporting and guiding the Directors (and their respective subordinates) on the administration of the loan portfolio (e.g. verifying collateral and borrower financial performance, adjudication of annual reviews &/or new requests by existing borrowers, and review of quarterly reviews etc.);
- Closely managing portfolio risk through monitoring and control reports for each borrower, communicating with the respective Directors, or in their absence Relationship Manager on any negative trending;
- Taking responsibility for ensuring appropriate strategies are in place and implemented to address any negative trending and when appropriate, escalating to Sr. Management for guidance
- Identifying early warning signs of potential problem accounts and working with the Directors on account management and the development/implementation of effective strategies to minimize losses to Scotiabank/Roynat;
- Participating in client meetings alongside Relationship Management teams on occasion, particularly of files in deteriorating or complex credit situations;
- Ensuring the Technology & Innovation Banking portfolio adheres to any regulatory and internal Bank policies including compliance requirements, such as Reputational and Suitability Risk;
• Create an environment in which his/her team pursues effective and efficient operations of his/her respective areas in accordance with Scotiabank’s Values, its Code of Conduct and the Global Sales Principles, while ensuring the adequacy, adherence to and effectiveness of day-to-day business controls to meet obligations with respect to operational, compliance, AML/ATF/sanctions and conduct risk.
• Build a high-performance environment and implements a people strategy that attracts, retains, develops and motivates their team by fostering an inclusive work environment and using a coaching mindset and behaviours; communicating vison/values/business strategy; and, managing succession and development planning for the team.
Education / Experience / Other Information:
- Previous Commercial/Corporate Banking experience
- Deep technology industry financing experience including with senior, junior and venture debt as well as equity investing
- Extensive knowledge of complex deal structures, financing products and services
- Good experience in risk assessment and financial analysis
- Awareness of differing regional tax, legal structures
- Computer literacy especially in the use of monitoring systems to assist in the administration of loan and investment portfolio.
- Demonstrated skills in problem solving, structuring and pricing credits, and managing and collecting problem accounts
- Work in a standard office-based environment; non-standard hours are a common occurrence with Travel domestically/internationally as required.
Location(s): Canada : Alberta : Calgary || Canada : Ontario : Oakville || Canada : Ontario : Toronto || Canada : Quebec : Montreal
We value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. Candidates selected for an interview will be contacted directly. If you require accommodation during the recruitment and selection process, please let us know. We will work with you to provide as seamless a recruitment experience as possible.
Job Segment: Law, Bank, Banking, Risk Management, Manager, Legal, Finance, Management