Specific responsibilities will include management of entitlement processes and coordination of application materials; design coordination working with architects, engineers, contractors and a team of industry professionals; oversight of the overall project budget and reporting; and collaboration with the company’s asset management, leasing, financing and construction teams. The Director of Development will also be required to provide support to the underwriting team as new opportunities are evaluated.
* Collaborate with the acquisition team on new opportunities, providing input on planning, policy, budgeting, due diligence and development feasibility;
* Engage and lead the design and consulting team and manage the complete design process from concept planning through to working drawings for construction;
* Manage the entitlement process from start to finish, including all municipal and other governmental approvals required, such as official plan amendments, zoning by-law amendments, minor variances, site plan agreements, draft plan of subdivision, condominium registration, building permits, etc.;
* Review and interpret various technical documents (planning, engineering, legal, financial, etc.) to identify concerns and opportunities; manage the consultant team in the preparation, submission, and revision of required reports, agreements, etc.
* Establish strong relationships with external stakeholders, including municipal staff and local neighbourhood associations to streamline and expedite the entitlement process, while maintaining the company’s reputation as a respected developer;
* Collaborate on a daily basis with all disciplines internally, including the asset management team, sales and marketing, finance, construction and senior leadership to ensure the project vision is upheld and all opportunities to maximize project returns are pursued;
* Chair and document all project meetings as required on a weekly or monthly basis with internal and external stakeholders, with prompt follow-up on deliverables;
* Maintain all project files and documents in an organized manner for the duration of the project;
* Prepare written and financial reports on a quarterly basis for reporting to investors
MPI does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, marital status, or based on an individual’s status in any group or class otherwise protected under applicable human rights legislation. MPI encourages applications from minorities, women, the disabled and all other qualified applicants
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
* Comprehensive understanding of the Planning Act and policies, as well as municipal planning approval processes;
* Experience with building approval and condo registration processes
* Existing relationships with municipal staff and elected officials are considered a benefit;
* Strong knowledge of financial concepts;
* Capability to thrive in a dynamic, hard-working and detailed-oriented team environment;
* Excellent organization and time management skills with an ability to manage multiple projects, prioritize tasks and meet reporting deadlines;
* Strong leadership and relationship building skills;
* Excellent written and oral communication skills;
* Superior analytical and problem solving skills with an ability to think strategically about real estate development projects;
* Entrepreneurial mindset; self-motivated and able to work well in both team and individual situations;
* Driver’s license and willingness to drive to sites
* Able to work proficiently in Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook. A working knowledge of CAD is a benefit.
*Preferred Qualifications *
* Undergraduate degree is required, preferably in Planning, Engineering, Architecture or Real Estate Development supplemented by work experience as described below.
* 5 to 7 years minimum in a similar role in the real estate development and construction industry is required, demonstrating experience leading large scale development projects.
Our client provides a real estate development platform to a select number of top-tier pension funds and institutional investors, executing on an urban intensification strategy for both commercial and residential assets in the Toronto and Montreal markets. Over the past 15 years, the firm has executed on $5.5B worth of projects, with $3.9B currently in development.
Due to current growth, the organization is looking to secure a Director of Development to join their team.
Competitive compensation package including:
* Health and Dental Benefits
* Competitive Vacation Allotment
* Performance bonus (OTE 25%)
* Dynamic office culture
Salary will be commensurate with experience.This role is based in Downtown Toronto.