The Ontario Science Centre seeks an experienced individual to lead its annual and long-term sponsorship, fundraising and donor/partner- relations programs and operations.
Are you a goal-oriented, hands-on leader with strong strategic planning and communications skills? Do you have a proven track record of successful sponsorship, fundraising, sales and stewardship with strong partnership development and relationship management skills? Join the Ontario Science Centre and play a key role in supporting our mission by expanding new and existing sponsor and donor relationships and funding partnerships to raise increased financial support for the Centre.
Guided by our mission to inspire passion for the human adventure of discovery, the Science Centre:
• believes science, technology and innovation will help us shape a better future for society and our planet.
• provides opportunities to explore, learn and collaborate.
• makes a positive and enduring impact on the lives of individuals and communities.
The Ontario Science Centre welcomes 900,000 visitors each year, and offers interactive experiences and insights into science and technology that help visitors of all ages understand, and contribute to the world around us. Since March 2020, the Science Centre has been engaging audiences across the province with online programming, films and activities.
The Ontario Science Centre, part of the Ontario Public Service, offers:
• a progressive work environment that promotes a work/life balance
• flexible learning and development opportunities, including online training and mentorship programs
• opportunities for career advancement and specialization through a wide range of career fields within both the Ontario Science Centre and the Ontario Public Service
• a dedicated approach to creating an inclusive and accessible work environment for all employees
• optional enrolment in a defined benefit pension plan and group benefits coverage
What can I expect to do in this role?
In a fast-paced, multi-faceted environment, the Director, Development & Partnerships provides leadership to the Development & Partnerships team to further the Centre’s efforts to strategically identify/develop opportunities, to attract prospects and to secure and steward sponsorships, major gifts, grants, funding partnerships and annual donations. This role requires creativity, flexibility and experience building an expanded Development program to generate $3M to $5M per year.
How do I qualify?
Strategic Planning/Sponsorship, Partnership and Fundraising Knowledge and Experience
• Proven ability in generating revenue by setting and achieving targets, and ensuring the viability of diverse programs (i.e. sponsorships, donations, government project grants, capital campaigns and special events) for a non-profit organization.
• Proven track record of providing strategic input to new projects in order to identify ways to maximize potential for securing external support.
• Proven ability in identifying sponsor and donor interests and objectives, and successfully matching them to organizational priorities and needs.
• Proven ability to manage corporate and individual major gift prospects, as well as sponsorship prospects, from identification through to cultivation, solicitation and stewardship, and to personally maintain an active portfolio of prospects and supporters.
Communication and Relationship Management Skills
• Superior oral communication, presentation, negotiation and relationship management abilities to engage, and successfully work with partners, supporters and senior volunteers.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability in establishing and maintaining effective communication and collaborating with key stakeholders, including corporate sponsors, individual donors, foundations, government project funders and colleagues.
Leadership and Managerial Skills
• Strong leadership skills to successfully lead, manage, and motivate staff, colleagues and volunteers in order to meet the goals of the department and to build a culture of philanthropy while maintaining positive employee engagement.
• Demonstrated ability with accurate revenue forecasting, budget and resource planning, and managing expenses.
• Demonstrated knowledge and ability to negotiate and execute complex business agreements, and to manage all administrative aspects of Development services including: prospect research, gift and sponsorship processing, and partner data and donor record management.