Requisition ID: 95356
Join the Global Community of Scotiabankers to help customers become better off.
Purpose of Job:
The Director, Canadian Retail Provisions, is responsible for assessing the provisions/allowances for the Canadian lending portfolios (Consumer, Wealth & Small Business) to ensure adequate allowances are set aside and are compliant with IFRS9 regulations. He/she is responsible for regular reporting (monthly, quarterly) for various executive departments and management reports that analyze trends, key metrics, and portfolio performance.
- Set the Provision for Credit Losses (PCL) for Canadian Retail Lending & Small Business on a monthly/quarterly basis. Analyze and identify any needs for management overlay adjustments to ensure appropriate allowance coverage is being maintained.
- Prepare key senior executive presentations and commentary for Senior Credit Committee and other executive reporting, regulatory information and investor information related to trends in provisioning and main drivers in variances compared to prior quarters/plan/forecast. Provide support and commentary on questions from executive management, investor relations, audit, and OSFI.
- Leads the forecasting and annual provision planning process to determine targets for key risk metrics as PCL and Net write-offs.
- Build strategic relationships with key partners in Modeling, Risk Product teams and Collections to gain a comprehensive, in-depth view of the portfolio quality and anticipate changes in losses.
- Ensure end to end process is compliant with internal, external and SOX audit requirements, including providing support to address audit and SOX testing
- Participate in due diligence and risk assessment activities for new acquisitions, portfolio purchases and mergers. Ensure that the portfolio under consideration reflects Scotiabank’s risk appetite and facilitates new portfolios’ migration to the Bank.
- Assess alternative scenarios to determine potential PCL impact. Develop sensitivity analysis to identify PCL’s significant drivers about quality, growth, portfolio mix, macroeconomic factors, and product-specific performance.
- Provide strong leadership to direct reports to motivate both team and individual performance. Manage a process that includes the supervision, evaluation, and development of staff.
- Solid knowledge of retail risk management across all aspects of the credit life cycle with excellent problem solving, analytical, and decision-making skills.
- Strong math and/or statistics background and the necessary expert understanding of the theoretical concepts underlying risk management.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills are essential in dealing with many senior internal and external parties and preparing executive management reports. Strong leadership skills.
- Integrity, high attention to detail, thoroughness, and accuracy are critical to ensure quality outputs. Solid organizational, interpersonal and communication skills and be able to direct varied activities within tight time frames.
- Must have 8+ years retail banking experience
- Must have 3+ years people management experience
- Strong prioritizing, planning, analytical, presentation, project management, and relationship-building skills
- Graduate degree in a quantitative focused discipline
- Financial designation preferred
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
As Canada’s International Bank, we are a diverse and global team. We speak more than 100 languages with backgrounds from more than 120 countries. Our employees are committed to a superior customer experience and use the Bank’s six guiding sales practice principles to ensure they act with honesty and integrity.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here . Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Segment: Manager, Developer, Law, Retail Sales, Banking, Management, Technology, Legal, Retail, Finance