At Element5, we believe mass timber is the essential building material of the 21st century and that the next big step in sustainable development is off-site construction. Factory-built mass timber solutions made from sustainably sourced wood products are the key to the significant gains in construction efficiency and building performance that we need, not only to improve our built environment but also to reduce its carbon footprint.
As Canada’s newest mass timber manufacturer, our state-of-the-art production line, commitment to BIM, and CNC fabrication capabilities enable us to produce a range of cross-laminated timber and glulam components in one of the most technologically advanced production facilities in the world. Our mission is to make positive contributions to communities, the environment and future generations by helping revolutionize the construction industry through the design, supply and assembly of sustainable, prefabricated mass timber buildings that deliver maximum social and economic value.
We are searching for a CNC Operator for our new mass timber fabrication facility in St. Thomas. You have a passion for woodworking and being part of the process of transforming raw materials into custom pieces. You are responsible for programming and operating the CNC machine, understanding specifications, and controlling project activities under the direction of a Production Manager while collaborating with colleagues to ensure the successful delivery of projects.
Your responsibilities will also include:
- Under general direction, preparation of drawings and G-code within DDX software;
- Evaluating program blueprints to outline machine operations and dimensions;
- Completing maintenance measures to ensure good condition of machines;
- Creating tool paths for CNC router;
- Considering tools required to cut particular materials and program machines accordingly;
- Controlling offcuts to minimize raw material waste;
- Working closely with Production Manager to ensure that project timelines are met;
- Highlighting potential quality issues and follow-up with supervisor to ensure verification;
- Alerting supervisor/maintenance of any safety, quality, maintenance or production concerns related to equipment;
- Working closely with internal engineering to clarify any issues with drawings;
- Controlling and updating CNC program database;
- Troubleshooting and resolution of problems with machines as they arise;
- Physically loading/unloading product onto equipment or trucks;
- Put-away and picking of product for shipment or stock;
- Comparing the quantity, quality & labeling, and addressing to ensure equipment loading is completed correctly;
- Completing repairs to billet surfaces;
- Installing connections as per engineered drawings;
- Applying coatings as per engineered drawings;
- Operating CNC, Sander and Planar machines as required;
- Changing equipment battery or LP tank and monitors power source as necessary;
- Maintaining the facility and the facility’s equipment in a neat, clean, orderly fashion;
- Inspecting all operated equipment daily;
- Performing other duties as assigned by Management.
Education & Experience
- Completion of post-secondary education in CNC Programming or equivalent combination of experience / training;
- 5+ years of programming experience using MasterCAM, DDX or similar software;
- 5+ years of experience operating and setting up CNC Router machines (preferably woodshop experience);
- Previous forklift certificate or satisfactory completion of a forklift-training program is required.
- Detail oriented, both in paperwork and computer generated drawings;
- Experience using AutoCad or other CAD software;
- Mechanical aptitude and strong math skills;
- Able to operate basic computer functions including software programs and applications;
- Proficient with carpentry and woodworking tools;
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs comfortably;
- Open to receiving and giving feedback to others, both positive and constructive;
- Strong ability to lead, coach, and drive a team to succeed;
- Integrity, leading by example;
- Effective attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy.
Element5 is committed to fair and equitable recruiting practices in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disability Act (AODA). Persons with disabilities are encouraged to come forward at any stage of the recruitment process to request accommodations, if needed.
Element5 is an equal opportunity employer and we would like to thank all applicants for their interest. For additional information on our organization, please visit https://elementfive.co/.