In compliance with the company’s policies, local legislation and International Maritime Law, the Captain oversees all operations aboard the vessel including: navigation, safety and medical care of all people and protection of environment. They have full authority to make executive decisions in order to preserve the life and safety of the crew and guests.
• Is responsible for the safe navigation of the vessel;
• Is responsible for the safety and life of every person on board;
• Is fully responsible for crisis management and course of action in case of emergency;
• Acts as the main company ambassador in the ports of call, with company partners and guests;
• Ensures policy implementations and provides relevant instructions to staff ;
• Supervises the execution of standard procedures;
• Ensures the application of MLC2006 laws on board;
• Monitors the organization and the execution of emergency drills;
• Makes sure that any cruise report is regularly transmitted to the shoreside offices;
• Ensures the ship’s full compliance with the USPHS procedures.
• Fluent English, oral and written. Any additional European language is considered an advantage (Italian, Portuguese, German, Spanish and French);
• Master’s degree or Polytechnic degree of technical ship operations;
• Certificate of Competency IMO II/2 +
• Certificate of capacity as Master (STCW Re. II/2) unlimited;
• Passengers ship familiarisiation;
• Problem solving;
• Excellent management skills;
• Stress Tolerance;
• STCW95 certification is compulsory (basic fire fighting, personal survival techniques, elementary first aid, personal security and social responsibility)
• A recognised medical certification is required before starting to work on board.
VISA REQUIREMENTS (if any)
• Possess a valid passport and when possible a seaman book copy.