Indaba Trading Ltd, is seeking an Assistant Controller. Reporting to the Controller, this position is responsible for providing support in the day to day transactional activities of the Company. The selected candidate will play an important role in shaping the future of the accounting department, assisting in implementing accounting procedures alongside a new ERP system. This position will work closely with the Controller, and the CFO to implement and streamline internal accounting processes and procedures.
Indaba is a leading North American wholesaler of distinctive home décor products, based in Parksville, BC. Indaba’s products are defined by natural and organic styles, patters, and colours, and a commitment to balanced design. Indaba’s enduring passion is developing designs and ideas, gathering select handcrafted pieces for the home from around the world. Our fascination with things of beauty is reflected in our ever-evolving collections of home furnishings. We strive to be innovative and refreshing, and are constantly working on new ideas to inspire and delight.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform the day to day processing of financial transactions, ensuring compliance with internal accounting procedures.
- Oversee the Accounts Receivable / Credit Process
- Process incoming payments and reconcile customer payments, reviewing all credit balances, refunds, and adjustments.
- Complete credit analysis and review of new clients. Determine credit limits and oversee the review of client accounts.
- Generate monthly account statements and produce monthly financial and management reports.
- Investigate collection problems and advise customers on corporate A/R policies and procedures.
- Make arrangements for payment of outstanding and late accounts; prepare documentation for management.
- Assist in payroll and benefits administration.
- Assist with the accounts payable process.
- Assist with inventory valuation and control.
- Process expense reimbursements.
- Assist with statutory reporting.
- Assist with preparing supporting schedules and account reconciliations.
- Assist with HR functions.
- Ensure the strict confidentiality and privacy of all records as they relate to the organization, our clients, and our team members.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Ability to communicate tactfully, efficiently and effectively with all levels of staff and external parties, both written and verbal.
- Flexibility, ability to change priorities quickly, and capacity to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong problem-solving capabilities, proactive and self-motivated.
- Bachelors degree in Accounting, Business, Finance or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must possess a high level of moral judgment for handling confidential information.
- Strong diplomatic, negotiation, conflict resolution skills in order to handle late payments and delinquent accounts.
- Knowledge of accounting systems, GAAP accounting principals, budgets, and internal controls. Experience with NetSuite an asset.