POSITION SUMMARY / ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
– Keeps watch as directed by the Bosun.
– Participates in all jobs and tasks in connection with safety of own vessel or the other and/or persons and/or environment as directed by the person in charge.
– Make himself familiar with the ships steering system.
When assigned to bridge watch:
– Designated Helmsman, and shall steer the ship in and out of ports or as directed by the OOW. He shall also be knowledgeable in how to switch from hand steering to Auto steering and vice versa.
– Shall stand lookout.
– Familiarize with the Fire detection panel, and sign the alarm when directed to do so by the OOW.
– Familiarize the telephones on the bridge, and answer them if directed to do so by the OOW.
– Familiarize with the bridge’s infrastructure, and train the other bridge watch accordingly.
– Make rounds of the decks as directed by the OOW. However, he shall never leave the bridge without the OOW’s permission.
– A.B’s duties as directed by the OOW, and when doing so, he reports to Bosun.
– Gangway duties when needed, both in port, and when at anchor.
– Tender duties as needed, and familiarize himself/herself familiar with driving the tenders.
– Shall participate in training and guiding of the less experienced sailors onboard.
– The A.B. qualifications shall conform to all International and National conventions and regulations as required by the Flag State, and by the STCW 95.
– Experience on vessels as Deck Hand or equivalent position.
– Knowledge of the Company SMS.
– Skills including but not limited to seamanship, team work and deck work experience and Proficient Helmsman.
REQUIRED ABILITIES / PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
– Excellent communication skills.
– Respect for all co-workers and guests
– Pride in your work by creating positive energy, excitement and fun
– Outgoing personality, open minded and flexible
– Able to work 7 days a week
– Demonstrate positive behaviors; smiling, being polite and courteous
– Able to develop a camaraderie with team members
– Ability to work in an international environment
– Ability to live in close quarters and share limited space with other cabin-mates
– Ability to work under pressure and maintain a pleasant working environment
– Excellent appearance
– To be able to meet all pre joining requirements.