JOB POSTING# 831920
RESEARCH TECHNICAL ASSISTANT
STTARR, Princess Margaret Cancer Research Tower
PATHOLOGY IMAGE ANALYSIS – RESEARCH
37.5 PER WEEK
PERMANENT FULL TIME
University Health Network (UHN)
is looking for an experienced professional to fill the key role of Research Technical Assistant
in our STTARR Department.
Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning.
The University Health Network, where
above all else the needs of patients come first , encompasses
Toronto Rehabilitation Institute, Toronto General Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre and the Michener Institute of Education at UHN . The breadth of research, the complexity of the cases treated, and the magnitude of its educational enterprise has made UHN a national and international resource for patient care, research and education. With a long tradition of groundbreaking firsts and a purpose of
Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning , the University Health Network (UHN), Canada’s largest research teaching hospital, brings together over 16,000 employees, more than 1,200 physicians, 8,000+ students, and many volunteers. UHN is a caring, creative place where amazing people are amazing the world.
University Health Network (UHN) is a research hospital affiliated with the University of Toronto and a member of the Toronto Academic Health Science Network. The scope of research and complexity of cases at UHN have made it a national and international source for discovery, education and patient care. Research across UHN’s five research institutes spans the full spectrum of diseases and disciplines, including cancer, cardiovascular sciences, transplantation, neural and sensory sciences, musculoskeletal health, rehabilitation sciences, and community and population health.
Find out about our purpose, values and principles here.
The STTARR Image Analysis Core ( http://www.sttarr.com/core4 ) is looking to hire a technician for histology quantification and analysis. The position will involve working on a custom image analysis application to identify and separate regions of tumor from normal tissue, and perform automated cell counting and quantitative analysis on multiple tissue sections stained using standard immunohistochemistry techniques.
The technician will be expected to have a basic understanding of histological anaylsis, in order to discriminate different tissues by eye and guide the machine towards identifying appropriate regions.
The technician will work directly with clients to identify which regions are of interest, then perform the analysis, and provide the results of the quantification back to the clients in spreadsheet format.
The ideal candidate will have a good basic knowledge of cellular biology and histology, and some computer experience, particularly with image editing programs such as Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator, and also knowledge of how to build and work with Microsoft Excel spreadsheets.
The ideal candidate would also possess good communication skills, and be able to adapt their work to the needs of prospective clients from a variety of backgrounds, in a professional and prompt manner.
The ability to work quickly and efficiently, maintain a high standard for quality of work, and handle multiple projects simultaneously is required.
The primary responsibilities include (but are not limited to) the following:
• Maintain communication with multiple clients, serving their image analysis needs
• Setting up and running image analysis solutions customized to particular demands
• Compiling results in spreadsheet format and providing spreadsheets and associated image screenshots to client
• Multitasking ability, to handle multiple clients and maintain good working relationships
• Background in Cell and Molecular Biology, and knowledge of histology techniques
• Computer experience, particularly with image editing programs, and spreadsheets
• Develop techniques to facilitate registration of tissue section to in vivo images
• Excellent problem recognition and problem-solving skills
• Effective organizational, time management and prioritization skills
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to work independently and accurately under stressful conditions
• Ability to work effectively as a team member
• Ability to multi-task
• Dedicated and willing to work extra-hours as required
• Understanding of appropriate behaviour required to work successfully in a diverse work group
• Abide by applicable Hospital and departmental policies, procedures, guidelines, protocols and practices
• Must be computer literate in Windows based applications
If you are interested in making your contribution at UHN, please apply on-line. You will be asked to copy and paste as well as attach your resume and covering letter. You will also be required to complete some initial screening questions.
POSTED DATE: October 11, 2018
CLOSING DATE: October 25, 2018
For current UHN employees, only those who have successfully completed their probationary period, have a good employee record along with satisfactory attendance in accordance with UHN’s attendance management program, and possess all the required experience and qualifications should apply.
University Health Network thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
UHN is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the Bona-fide requirements for the open position. Applicants need to make their requirements known when contacted.