Licensed Practical Nurse
Guildford Seniors Village (GSV)
Clinical Support [Registered Nurses][Licensed Practical Nurses][Registered Care Aides][Recreational Therapists]
Reporting to the Director of Care and/or designate, the LPN is the role model and team leader who coordinates the activities and duties of those who deliver direct resident care.
The LPN performs duties and monitors departmental activities in accordance with their scope of practice, established standards, regulations, policies and procedures to maximize resident focused care
Include but not limited to;
1. Assess residents’ needs; plans, implements and evaluates resident care.
2. Ensures focused resident care is provided and resident rights are observed.
3. Liaises with physicians, community agency representatives, families, visitors and volunteers.
4. Administers prescribed medications and treatments within the limitations of the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of BC. (CLPNBC)
5. Monitors and reports changes in physical and psychological conditions of residents to the designated manager and documents changes in the resident’s health record.
Notifies family and physician of changes in condition.
6. Participates actively in Interdisciplinary Care Conferences.
Responsible for development of initial care plan and revisions as necessary.
Implements and evaluates the effectiveness of plan of care.
7. Maintains all documents according to established standards, regulations, policies and procedures, ensuring confidentiality is maintained according to Facility policy.
8. Liaises with other disciplines and departments to ensure quality focused resident care and assists with supervising care staff.
9. Participates in orientation and ongoing education as required and actively participates in facility programs, meetings, committees and educational in-services.
10. Assists residents with care, which includes activities of daily living, such as bathing, dressing, feeding, elimination, hair and oral care.
11. Demonstrates leadership in initiating the revision of goals, priorities and nursing interventions
12. Provides direction, assignment and supervision of unregulated care providers as appropriate.
13. Facilitates problem-solving and decision-making.
14. Provides constructive feedback.
15. Directs and coordinates actions of others, as appropriate, in emergency situations.
16. Acts as a role model by demonstrating empathy, trust and respect in all interpersonal
17. Ensures equipment and supplies are stored and maintained according to policy and procedure and reports unsafe or faulty equipment to appropriate manager.
18. Maintains an up to date knowledge of facility policies and procedures, particularly those concerning the administration and recording of medications, safety and emergency procedures.
19. Performs all other duties as required.
1. Graduate of an approved program for Practical Nurses and holds a current License with the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of BC.
2. Valid First Aid Certificate.
3. Food Safe Level 1 certificate.
4. Recent experience as a practicing LPN, in a long – term care setting that included the distribution of medications; 2 years’ experience preferred
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. Ability to read, write, and speak English proficiently and understand verbal and written instructions.
2. Good interpersonal skills and ability to effectively interact with the various individuals involved in providing holistic care in a flexible resident focused environment.
3. Ability to operate related equipment.
4. Must be in good health, physically able to perform repetitive tasks, lift, squat, bend, stand and walk as required to perform the duties of the position.