Licensed Practical Nurse (FT)
Kamloops Seniors Village (KSV)
Clinical Support [Registered Nurses][Licensed Practical Nurses][Registered Care Aides][Recreational Therapists]
Full Time Temporary
Reporting to the Director of Care, and/or designate, the Licensed Practical Nurse is the role model who coordinates the activities and duties of those who deliver direct tenant care.
The Licensed Practical Nurse performs duties and monitors departmental activities in accordance with their scope of practice, established standards, regulations, policies and procedures to maximize tenant focused care.
Included but not limited to;
1. Assess and advise tenants on health matters within the scope of the LPN maintaining the focus on the independence of the tenant to direct their own care.
Assist the tenant to access appropriate health care if needed.
2. Ensure tenant focused care is provided by HSW’s and tenant rights and independence are observed.
3. Oversee administration of prescribed medications and treatments by HSW’s within the limitations of the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of BC. (CLPNBC) and according to relevant Personal Assistant Guidelines (PAGS).
This includes but not limited to direct administration of prescribed medications and injections when indicated.
4. Monitor and document changes in physical and psychological conditions of tenants in BCAL.
5. Maintains paper and electronic documents according to established standards, regulations, policies and procedures, ensuring confidentiality is maintained according to Facility policy and FOIPPA.
6. Liaises with other disciplines and departments to ensure quality focused tenant care.
7. Maintains competency by participating in ongoing education and staff meetings.
8. Assist tenants with care when required including activities of daily living.
9. Ensure equipment and supplies are stored and maintained according to policy and procedure and report unsafe or faulty equipment to appropriate manager.
10. Maintains an up to date knowledge of facility policies and procedures; including those concerning the administration and recording of medications, and safety and emergency procedures.
11. Maintains an up to date knowledge of Guidelines for Licensed Practical Nurses in Assisted Living as per the relevant Health Authority.
Uses the Health Decision Guide for LPN’s.
12. Encourage and adheres to a holistic philosophy of wellness; recognizing that each tenant is free to make decisions about their life and live with risk.
13. Perform all other duties as required.
1. Graduate of an approved program for Practical Nurses and holds a current Full Scope License with the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of BC (or equivalent combination of experience and education).
2. Two years recent experience as a practicing LPN, preferably in an Assisted Living or long term care setting.
3. Must be in good health and free from communicable diseases, physically able to perform repetitive tasks, lift, squat, bend, stand and walking as required to perform the duties of the position.
4. Able to work independently with minimal supervision.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing in the English language.
2. Good interpersonal skills and ability to effectively interact with the various individuals involved in providing holistic care in a flexible tenant focused environment.
3. Ability to operate related equipment.