Nanaimo Seniors Village (NSV)
Facility Support Services [Dietary Aides / Servers][Cooks / Chefs][Support Service Workers][Maintenance]
Full Time Regular
Reporting to the Head Chef the Cook 2 is responsible for the daily preparation of meals from an assigned menu, ensures safe food handling methods are followed, maintenance of a safe & sanitary workplace, inventory control and supervision of staff.
Include but not limited to;
1. Responsible for the production of menu items including preparation of menu items as per the approved menus, production using standardized recipes and service ensuring standard department policies, procedures and safe food handling techniques are used at all times.
2. Ensures the proper preparation, delivery and storage of food to ensure safety of residents, guests and the public. Performs regularly required audits and corrective action as necessary.
3. Coordinates the work flow and provides direction to Cooks and other designated staff related to the production, delivery and clean up of meals for assigned area.
4. Performs ordering and receiving of consumables items according to established purchasing procedures and polices. Maintains consumable inventory utilizing methods to minimize spoilage and waste.
5. Practices and maintains cleanliness and sanitation according to required standards set by the Health Department and the Facility.
6. Assists the Food Services Manager or Lead Cook in organizational planning related to Food Services by providing input and participating in the implementation of menus, schedules and other initiatives to ensure a high standard of Food Services.
7. Promotes and maintains positive communication and relationships among management, staff, residents, and the public.
8. In the absence of the Food Services Manager or Lead Cook, is responsible for the supervision of department production and service, staff, including direction of staff, interdepartmental communications, and emergencies.
9. From time to time, in unusual circumstances the employee may be asked to perform other related duties.
1. Grade 12; or equivalent
2. Graduation from a recognized Cooks Training program or equivalent combination of education and experience
3. “Food Safe Level 1” Certificate
4. ‘Serving it Right’ certification a definite asset
5. Knowledge and experience with cooking, butchery, baking, kitchen equipment and machines
6. Two years’ experience in hotels, restaurants or institutions
7. Some supervisory experience is preferred
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position and operate related equipment
2. An aptitude toward detail and creativity with good planning and organizational skills
3. Ability to develop and maintain harmonious relationship with all levels of personnel and residents
4. Ability to work independently and follow instructions with minimal supervision
5. Ability to communicated well in written and oral English
6. Ability to demonstrate tact, diplomacy, empathy and patience.